Greece, pull your gut in.

Discussion in 'Share Investing Strategies, Theories & Education' started by Johny_come_lately, 8th May, 2010.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. BillV

BillV Well-Known Member

I think it's stupid for a newspaper to take the words of a loser anarcist to make up a story. The problem with Greece in general is that they are not good at law enforcement.

They should have locked up the trouble makers and thrown away the key a long time ago. IMO the Greeks need to increase Police power and to introduce huge fines for damage to personal and public property

2. Tropo

Tropo Well-Known Member

Edna Fernandes may give an answer, but George Papandreou and Jean-Claude Trichet are the best persons to ask, I would think...;)

3. dudek

dudek Well-Known Member

Bill,

You may have a point here but don’t forget that not every country is likely to adopt an “Australian” model of society ruled by police power. Simply because of different historical background and events witch shaped the society. Greece is famous for its “democracy” and people had always a big say. It’s a bit ironic that we model our system on Greek democracy yet assuming we know better.

4. Johny_come_lately

Johny_come_lately Well-Known Member

General Strike for Greece lowers market

MyWestnet

Johny.

5. BillV

BillV Well-Known Member

Dudek, I totally agree with you, they don't have to copy the Australian model but when I park my car on the street and some anarchists come and trash it or they break into my shop and destroy it is not democracy it's vandalism.

Expressing their opinion is fine but I think a small % of this Greek generation have misinterpreted the word democracy and understood it to mean that they can do as they like and don't seem to care about the impact of their actions on their fellow citizens or their country.

I'm not there so I don't have first hand experience on the issue but this is the impression I'm getting from what I see on TV and the internet.

These events worry me because Greece is part of my 6 week trip to Southern Europe in July. So far I'm not happy with what I see and I hope the police bring some order to their country or their tourism industry will suffer.

We've already bought our tickets and paid for hotels & car hire so we're not cancelling our trip but I'm sure others will be holidaying elsewhere this year.

6. Tropo

Tropo Well-Known Member

"We've already bought our tickets and paid for hotels & car hire so we're not cancelling our trip but I'm sure others will be holidaying elsewhere this year."

Bill
    Why do you hire a car???? :confused::eek::confused::eek:
    I would hire a boat or yacht instead ...there are so many islands over there!:D

7. BillV

BillV Well-Known Member

Tropo

Here is the reason.
    We are picking up a car in Geneva and driving South through France (French alps and French Riviera), West coast of Italy, Florence, Rome, Naples etc and then take a boat to the Greek mainland, where we visit archaeological sites, take a few trips to Greek islands etc.

When we've had enough we'll take a boat over to Italy, drive through the east coast of Italy, San Marino, Venice, Milan, Lugano and then drive through the Swiss alps and back to Geneva.

We have a short flight and stop over in Amsterdam as well.
    We wanted to visit more places but there isn't enough time so it will have to be in a couple of years time when when we'll do it all again....:D

Last edited by a moderator: 15th May, 2010
  8. Chris C

Chris C Well-Known Member

I don't know but it's something worth investing something into given it's one of their few major exports - tourism.

I agree, but governments and bankers have lots of pull with law enforcement, so it's very hard.

:D

Yeah because Australians never riot or participate in vandalism... and it's it's total safe to park your car at Cronulla on wog bashing day.

:rolleyes:

Last article I read said their tourism industry is already haemorrhaging. Could make for some good souvenir bargains while your their though...

9. BillV

BillV Well-Known Member

It doesn't surprise me.
    I was thinking that the Euro going lower will be good but GST is high. I think in order to fix the damage they've done to their tourism industry they'll need to lower their prices ...:D

On a positive note, I think this period is probably the best time to go there because
    A. the Euro is low and IMO it will be going lower
    B. there won't be huge ques of tourists
    C. With higher hotel vacancies there will be room for price negotiations. Most of our hotel bookings are refundable so I'll now be looking for specials...:D

10. Tropo

Tropo Well-Known Member

Your schedule is quite impressive.
    Few years back we did the same....and after a holiday we have been so tired so we needed another one down under.
    Be careful when driving a car in Italy....Watch out for funny drivers, credit cards, passports etc...
    If in Switzerland, make sure you visit St. Moritz and Monterey.
    A few beers in Portofino (kind of a younger sister of St.Tropez = French Riviera) is very enjoyable..
    French Riviera is "A MUST !!!!" ( my favourite holiday destination). Amazing place !!!
    San Marino (tax free) is a surprise...
    If you do have enough time make sure that you drive from Chamonix to a Nice (via French Alps) , 2 days unreal experience.

Is it going to be your first time in Europe?
    Do not worry about exchange (Eur/Aud)....As a tourist you'll never get it right (timing)...hahahahaa...
    Enjoy your trip !!!! :D:p:D;)

11. BillV

BillV Well-Known Member

Yes I know, I've been planning this trip for a long time.
    It was actually my idea. I can see that our teenage kids are getting older so we've got to do 1 last trip all together.
    It will be good family bonding time I hope.

Thanks for the tips, I've been to EU forums getting advice so I know where the nice places are and I've also been warned of the italian drivers, pick pockets etc etc.

In Switzerland we'll stay up to a week. We're only driving max 5 hours each time so it shouldn't be too tiring. We've booked 50% of the accom early and left gaps in between bookings to give us a chance to stay longer at any place we like.

It's not our first time in Europe but it's my first time driving there. I've done a lot of research though and I'm informed of the trafic rules and fines. I've also bought 2 GPS's so we should be ok finding our way. Hopefully my kids will help me with the driving once they learn how to drive a manual car...:eek:

At first I was a bit afraid to drive but we can't do it any other way. We're 5 so we don't even fit in a taxi.
    I'm sure we'll be ok. I'll take it easy on the first day to get used to driving on the other side of the road and to stop using the wipers as indicators :D.

It will be an expensive trip but I'm sure we're going to love it. :)

12. Tropo

Tropo Well-Known Member

"Hopefully my kids will help me with the driving once they learn how to drive a manual car..."

Hahahaa...My wife still can drive only auto. :eek:
    Italian open roads are bad, but Rome is a disaster zone.
    Make sure that you'll be driving.

"It will be an expensive trip but I'm sure we're going to love it."

You will.... and you are going to be very tired also, but this kind of trip is worth every penny!!
    Many people discovered long time ago that few things worth spending money is on travel. :p

13. dudek

dudek Well-Known Member

Bill,

Once you pass customs in Sydney forget about Greek troubles. Places you are going to visit will wipe all the worries of the world. I hope you and your family enjoy every minute in Europe.

14. BillV

BillV Well-Known Member

That's not so bad, mine refused to finish learning, she let her learner's licence expire and never got a licence

15. BillV

BillV Well-Known Member

Dudek,

Thanks mate we will. :)
    You're right the demonstrations shouldn't worry us.
    If we can't get close to the city centre by car it's not a problem, we'll park on the outskirts and take a cab into the city.

16. Johny_come_lately

Last time I went to Greece, customs bailed me up for having Quinine tablets (for Malaria) without a prescription.

Johny.

17. BillV

BillV Well-Known Member

That's strange because their system is very liberal when it comes to medicine. Maybe the guy was looking for something because you can buy medicine there without a prescription.

Customs don't worry me. In 2004 I went there for the Olympics and they had increased security but they didn't check my bags, they were only interested in registering the equipment I was carrying. This time I'll arrive from Italy so they won't be checking us.

Was it many years ago and did you fly in from Asia or Africa? I think I took such tablets when I went to work in Thailand in the 80's. You don't need them in Europe

18. Johny_come_lately

I came to Greece in the early 90's, from the Congo. I must have looked pretty rough. Perhaps if I wore a suit and tie, customs would of passed me by.

Now, if you enter any EU border, you only pass through customs once. As long as you remain in the EU you are ok. (except France-UK by ferry).

Looks like that volcano is pumping out ash again. Don't know if it will reach Greece. Happy holiday!

Johny.

19. BillV

BillV Well-Known Member

I'm flying to Amsterdam and Geneva.
    Hopefully it will be over before July

btw, UK is still EU so I don't know why they would be checking passengers, perhaps they're looking for illegal immigrants