Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. shouldisell

shouldisell Well-Known Member

Hey guys.

I'm in Brazil at the moment, and just thought I'd stop by and say hi to everyone.
    I just checked up on my netwealth account for the first time in a few months. No pleasant surprises unfortunately... :(

I'm looking forward to returning home and hopefully starting to make some money investing. To date, I have probably burned $15,000 in the market. (over a short 2 year period. Or a long 2 years depending how you look at it)

I have money in 5 managed funds which have all done exceptionally poorly since I invested. My super fund which I opened recently has also done rather poorly (except for the govournment co-contribution).

CFS Firstchoice CFS 452 Geared Aust Share Fund
    Platinum International Brands Fund
    Vanguard Emerging Markets Shares Index Fund
    Colonial First State Property Securities Fund
    CFS 1st Choice - CFS Colliers Gear Glob Prop Sec

Super: BT Super For Life Fund

I think I'm down roughly 30-40% across the board. Not a bad start.

On the bright side, I'm not too turned off by it all. Maybe I'm naive, but I'm hoping there's still hope for me.
    I'm not sure if I should be re-thinking my strategy and taking a different approach???
    The game plan was to return home, earn more money and set up a regular savings plan into my netwealth account. Distribute it across the funds (probably excluding the Colliers fund from ever receiving another cent), and leaving some in my netwealth cash account for possible future investments. Possibly using that money for some share investing in the future??

Who knows...

I hope you guys have done better that I have recently.

Comments, advice, criticism all welcome as usual :)

Cheers guys. Take it easy.

2. BillV

BillV Well-Known Member

Hi Kompleks

What are you doing over there?
    I haven't done too bad, lucky I sold mine early :D

My super is still in cash but I am now in the process of consolidating and transfering everything into my SMSF.

My plan is to invest the majority in property and gear up to a level where the property is neutral (probably 70-75% LVR) and anything left over plus all of my monthly contributions will be spent on shares

3. dudek

dudek Well-Known Member

Kompleks,

Welcome. I guess you are in mining filed?

Bill,

Any tips how you structured your SMSF to get loan?
    I was going to buy shares and build portfolio of top 10 ASX companies and let it rot for while. With received dividends at 30% I can also offset 15% contribution tax.

4. BillV

BillV Well-Known Member

dudek

I got my accountant to buy the deed docs from a company called CST (CST Corporate Solutions) he opened up the SMSF got the ABN, opened my bank account etc. To buy property you also need to setup a bare trust

Click on the URLs below for an explanation with diagrams.
    if you want more specific info send me a PM and I will help you through.

Setting up a SMSF
    http://www.interprac.com.au/docs/finance/Voice page 7 8 & 9.pdf
    http://www.soldonproperty.com.au/temp/SMSF FAQ Questions.pdf

Last edited by a moderator: 3rd Mar, 2009
  5. dudek

dudek Well-Known Member

Bill,

Thanks for links. Excellent material to read and it gave me few ideas for the future. I already manage to set my Super Fund up and I am waiting for my CommSec account to be activated. Seems like a good timing as shares are hitting the wall again. I was thinking to invest in shares first. Reason behind my decision is that RE may not see significant gains in short term but shares may jump around 40-50% during recovery. RE may follow shares so there will be time to sale shares and get to RE.
    It is long term strategy so I hope I will be able to bit managed funds in their own game.

6. BillV

BillV Well-Known Member

dudek
    we've highjacked compleks's thread here, sorry compleks

I feel that currently it's too risky to spend any more than our monthly contributions on shares. When the market turns, sure, I'll go for it but not now because I feel property is a safer bet.

I've looked at term deposits but they aren't attractive anymore so I'm gearing using my super fund to buy a property and even if its value only goes up by 4% per year with the 3x gearing it's 12% minimum return which is not too bad and the loan repayment will be covered by the rent.

Anyway, I am not expecting double digit growth straight away but growth will come because of inflation. It's just a matter of time.

7. shouldisell

shouldisell Well-Known Member

Haha, no worries guys.

Atleast something useful came of my thread :)

Oh, I'm in Brazil training Jiu Jitsu. Should be home in about a month.

8. dudek

dudek Well-Known Member

In case you come accross of Cash brothers just say we missed them in Australia :)

9. Johny_come_lately

Johny_come_lately Well-Known Member

Hey Compleks

I have just spent 3 hours reading your 2007 thread. It was like waving goodbye to the Titanic, knowing it was about to sink. You couldn't have picked a bigger iceberg to start off with! Why was your adventure/horror story so inthralling? I did the same thing!

Note to self "must go to sleep before 2am"

cheers Johny

We provide our clients with the opportunity to select their own investments from a wide range of ASX listed securities. We provide the research to ensure your selections will achieve the goals. This is the value of advice.