Join our investing community

Greetings

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Santob, 2nd Nov, 2010.

1. Santob

Santob Member

Hey folks, just signed up and looking forward to reading through the forums.
    Particularly on advise on how to manage my record-keeping (I'm thinking glorified spreadsheets as not much good software on the market).

Also Trade shares regularly, but not that successfully.

:)
    SantoB

2. Billv

Billv Getting there

Hi Santob

Welcome to the forum.
    What record keeping?
    Who are you trading with and don't they provide statements?

3. Santob

Santob Member

Hi Bill,

Oh I'm just thinking of some standard spreadsheets to use for weekly incomes/expenses, including identifying Tax related items. Nothing fancy. I've tried to use Quicken before, but find its just clumsy and as with most software, you end up having to modify your intentions to suit their limitations.

cf. Trading, I'm with Comsec and also have an eTrade account. eTrade do provide tax summaries which is a significant benefit, however comsec that is my primary trading account, only provide summaries of contract notes, no tax statements. I trade between 5-10 trades a week, so i do need something more substantial than a simple list.

4. Billv

Billv Getting there

5. Santob

Santob Member

6. busselton

busselton New Member

I use Mauss StockMarket Plus to record my Commsec trades and I found it logical and easy to use

7. Santob

Santob Member

I did dabble with MAUS but found the layout quite confusing. Quicken isn't much better mind you.

For share Trading I've used a package called TopShare Which i've found very good, especially the ability to split different lots and to assign how you want taxation treated on those lots.

Which reminds me I really do need to update my trading activity this year, luckily i can import/export from csv files..