Join our investing community

Hello, and a request for advice.

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by ortho85, 13th May, 2014.

1. ortho85

ortho85 New Member

Hi all.

I'm approaching retirement (very soon!) from a health profession. We have had a SMSF for about 15 years, and I took over its investing about 10 years ago.

Our accountant handles the SMSF reporting, and other requirements.

I'm very much an amateur in the investing/SMSF world, but would like to learn more. When I'm retired I want to spend time on this.

So, the question is, any recommendations (positive or negative) on study options? I'm thinking online courses from TAFE or commercial providers, or a Uni degree, but I'm not even sure what to look for.

Something like a Diploma in Financial Planning, or what?

Thanks,

BK

2. GregR

GregR Reid Consultants

What do you want to achieve with your SMSF or is it an interest generally?
    Perhaps refine what it is you want to do, then some of the people can give more specific advice.

If it is just investing strategies in the share market, then perhaps target specific courses. If it is understanding property investment, again target specific courses.
    A Diploma in Financial Service will cover a broad range of topics you may have no interest in at all.

3. Terryw

Terryw Well-Known Member

Why not grab one of the financial planning books the professionals use. e.g. Australian Financial Planning Handbook

4. ortho85

ortho85 New Member

Sorry - I thought I had set to be notified of replies, and assumed there were none!

I guess I'm looking for self-education in both Superannuation and portfolio management.

Since I first posted I have found a course on Superannuation that looks interesting - Learning: CPD and RG 146: RG 146 Superannuation - ASFA

Now I'm hunting for something similar on investing. There's lots out there, but I'm hoping to find a structured course, rather than things like the ASX education bits. They are helpful and interesting, but fragmented.

So, all comments and suggestions gratefully accepted!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Australian Financial Planning Handbook looks to be written for professionals, and assumes considerable existing knowledge?

Thanks,

Brett

5. Terryw

Terryw Well-Known Member

No existing knowledge assumed. This textbook is used for some of the RG146 courses for people straight off the streets.

6. ortho85

ortho85 New Member

Thanks, Terryw.

I'll get a copy.

Cheers,

Brett