Hello everyone

Discussion in 'Investment Strategy' started by thomasdatank, 7th Apr, 2009.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. thomasdatank

thomasdatank Guest

Gday to all

I am excited to be a part of your website. I am trying to expand my 2 property portfolio.
    I ended up on this website when researching about Dymphna Boholt.I found a link to here through jacque and her opinion.

I found there is so much out there and am very green about getting to the next level in the property game.
    Are these coaching programs worth what they ask. Or is the old saying "If its too good to be true it generally is"
    thanks for your time and advice

Tom

2. Jacque

Jacque Jacque Parker Premium Member

Hi Tom and welcome to InvestEd :)

Coaching or mentoring programmes aren't for everyone but there are those investors who prefer a "start up" platform on which to begin investing, and some seminars can help with that. Over the years, I've attended many seminars and workshops (most free, some not) including Peter Spann, Steve McKnight, Rick Otton, Freestylers (no longer around), Steve Navra, Michael Yardney, Margaret Lomas, Dymphna Boholt (recently!) and various assorted speakers at Home Shows and Expos. Most of them I've come away with something worthwhile investigating or they've spurred me into action- Peter Spann in particular in the late 90's.

My recommendation to you would be to ask as many questions on forums like this, read lots of books, articles, investor publications (API mag, Smart Investor Mag etc) and develop your knowledge along the way. Seminars can't hurt, especially if they're reasonably priced, but do be aware that the mentoring programmes can be expensive and not always tailored to your investment needs.

As much as I enjoyed Dymphna's talk, I did pick up a few anomalies including a property or two that she advertised as being "cashflow positive", when the interest payments clearly would not have covered the rent. You do need to ask a lot of clarifying questions in the early stages, and I found that reading books can cover a lot more information than a seminar or two.

For starters, check out the books in the back of magazines like API for ideas, as well as material by the above authors (Navra excluded as he hasn't written any books yet!) as well as ppl like Jan Somers etc. I'm sure other RE readers can add more here... I'm a bit brain dead at the moment having had an enormously busy day...:D