Join our investing community

Hello

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Meggsy, 16th Feb, 2007.

1. Meggsy

Meggsy Well-Known Member

Just though I'd say hello :)

I'm Josh, 19 years old and I currently attend the University of Queensland in Brisbane. I left high school wanting to be an IT professional. Realising that I needed something to go with my IT degree I decided Commerce was a good way to go. So now I'm 2 years through my Commerce/IT dual and I enjoy the commerce side of it more than the IT!

My first job came at the end of my first year at uni. A mate said there was an opening at the ITHelpdesk on campus and so that is where I now work. It pays pretty well for a casual job and after two months I had saved enough money to pay for my uni fees, my parents suggested investing the rest as they had some managed funds which had done quite well and I didn't need much to start.

I purchased my first lot of managed funds with money I'd earnt from work and previous savings (Brithday money etc) and opted to add to that fund every month. After a few months I decided I wanted another and so on.

I've now got money invested in 5 different funds:

Goldman Sachs JBWere Emerging Leaders Fund
    Aust Unity Property Securities Growth
    CFS MIF - Geared Share Fund
    CFS MIF - Global Resources Fund
    Macquarie - Small Companies Growth Trust

I feel like I'm on track however I've got heaps of questions so I'm going to go have more of a read through the forums and possibly post some more questions :)

2. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Co-founder Staff Member

Welcome Meggsy - sounds like you're off to a flying start ... wish I had achieved even part of what you have done so far by the age of 19. Well done!

Hope we can help you on your journey.

3. DaveA

DaveA Well-Known Member

i bet anyone invested in this fund is a very happy person.... With the 70% or so return in the last year you did very well to pick the fund which had a small size, limited market presence and small ratings into the best fund for the year...

Just proves that past performance is nothing...

Well done on the good start, im nearly 21 now and i couldnt of cared less about managed funds a year ago... its always about time in market not timing the market...

4. Simon

Simon Well-Known Member

I was lying on the bed just now flicking through Peter Thornhills book "motivated Money" the subject of another recent post of mine.

I was chatting to the missus and said how I wish someone had given me this book when I was 20. She suggested I am now responsible to find a 20 year old who was receptive to the idea of wealth building and lending them my copy.

Given that you aren't local I wont lend you my copy plus I am still reading it. But I strongly recommend you buy it! :) :)

5. DaveA

DaveA Well-Known Member

i seem to have a fair amount of reading to start with actually...

im starting Trust magic next week (if i finish my uni assignment by then), and then i wouldnt mind reeding a book about the setting up of companys, like tips and tricks, costs and in general what you really need to do. So if anyone knows a similar book please let me know. There seems to be alot of running a small business but not actually setting one up...