Join our investing community

Hello

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by possumpal, 25th Mar, 2007.

1. possumpal

possumpal New Member

Hi everyone,
    Just signed up today,
    I am 21 yo farmer near ballarat. um yeah thats about all i have to say, i'm interested in real estate, signing for my 2nd property on tuesday, and also have a few specualtive shares.
    Cheers

2. Jacque

Jacque Team InvestEd

Hi Possum and welcome to the forum!

So where is the property you're buying and why did you decide to invest?
    Would love to hear more :)

3. TryHard

TryHard Well-Known Member

Welcome mate. Wish I had the foresight to go looking for forums like this when I was your age (actually the internet didn't really exist then so that's a pointless comparison :) ) Every day feels like I have 10 years to catch up on .. you on the other hand are starting with time well and truly on your side ...

Good on ya for starting the journey and all the best for the future :)

4. possumpal

possumpal New Member

I own a flat about 2k from the cbd of ballarat which I purchased about 12 months ago, and my new property is about 1200m from the main street. I am interesred in property because as i am young and have time on my side i see plently of potentiall for growth hence buying near the cbd. I also like property beause in a way it forses me to "gear" myself which i feel comfortable doing with property as opposed to shares. I like the fact that i can see,feel,touch property ect. I do releaise that there is also great potential in shares and find it enjoyable tracking there progress everyday, but i don't think it would be so much fun if i had 300k invested in them like i do property.
    Cheers, timbo

5. unthreaded

unthreaded Active Member

I have found many people to have the same psychological profile - ie happy to gear heavily into property, but averse to gearing into shares/managed funds.

I would be interested to get others opinions regarding this bias.

My initial thoughts were:

Property approx 5% entry fee via stamp duty, 2% exit fee as agents commission. Illiquid and monolithic. More difficult to diversify due to the investment quantum required. Dividends all unfranked.

Both asset classes share the same propensity for rises and falls. The historical returns seem similar with doubling in the 7-10year range. Both suffer from pricing vs value issues.

6. Dunsborough

Dunsborough Active Member

Hi Possumpal amd welcome
    Congrats on really having it together investment wise. Gee i wish i had bought property at 21, i was still doing laps in my xu1 and wasting money.
    All the best and keep up the investing, but enjoy life along the way!!!