Join our investing community

Hello!!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by bailey, 25th Jan, 2008.

1. bailey

bailey Member

Hey Everybody..

Just signed up to check out the website and thought i might as well introduce myself and hopefully learn a few things as well!!

I am currently working as a paraplanner/trainee advisor up in Central Qld.. I am three quarters of the way through my Diploma of Finanical Planning through Kaplan (only 1 assignment to finish and 1 exam and i am PS146 compliant :cool:)

Other than that i started off by doing an B Bus (accounting) and w worked for as an accountant... Decided that wasn't me and then took a brake and worked as an office manager and finally ended up where i am today.. Have been working here for about 8 months now..

Thats all about it...

Cheers,

Bailey :)

2. Billv

Billv Getting there

Hi Bailey.

Welcome to the forum.
    Stick around and ask questions, there are some smart finance people here.
    I work in Engineering management and have an interest in property, and market economics.

Cheers

3. Nigel Ward

Nigel Ward Team InvestEd

Welcome on board Bailey!

Please share with us your thoughts on the Tribeca/Kaplan course.

Has it equiped you personally to be a better investor? Does it help your customers or was it more of a "regulatory requirement" that you complete it from your perspective?

4. bailey

bailey Member

Wow.. Thats a hard question to answer... Firstly i started the tribeca course before i got a job as a trainee financial planner.. SO the first module i was really interested in and i really enjoyed it..

By the time i started the second module i had the job and had been working for about one month and was starting to learn a lot of new things. The second module was interesting and taught me a few things but by the end of this module i had been working for about three to four months...

So by the time i started the third module the course had become a "regulatory requirement"..

I am unhappy with the Tribeca/Kaplan courses because i believe it does not teach anything. Honestly, an open book exam with two and a half hours to complete 80 multiple question questions is ridiculous.

I have learned more working than i have through the course and I am glad i took the job while completing the course rather than completing the course and getting a job.

I hope that kinda answered your question??

5. Glebe

Glebe Well-Known Member

Welcome aboard dude.

6. AsxBroker

AsxBroker Well-Known Member

I agree Bailey, but it's not a Tribeca/Kaplan (lets throw in FinSIA) trainer issue, it's an ASIC issue. That's what ASIC have thrown in RG146 (PS146 for those still pre July 2007 :p ) as minimum educational requirements, hence why I like calling ASIC toothless tigers...

Cheers,

Dan

7. Nigel Ward

Nigel Ward Team InvestEd

Agree entirely. And yes answered my question very well.

Cheers
    N

8. tailcat

tailcat Well-Known Member

As a matter of interest, what is the pass mark and which marking system is used?

Tailcat

9. bailey

bailey Member

For the assignments a pass mark is 16 out of 20.. If you get less they send you back your assignment and tell you where you have gone wrong and you can fix it and re-submit... I have never had this happen but it is the process from what i have been told.

The exams you need 75% to pass each module.. Normally about 10 modules. Each module contains 8 questions, you must get 6 correct to pass the module..

Unsure what you mean by the marking system used??

10. tailcat

tailcat Well-Known Member

Can I ask how much material you have to study for course?

Tailcat

11. bailey

bailey Member

The assignments are generally 4 to 5 questions long..

Most questions are basis and you get the answer straight from the course material.. I can give you examples if you want to see them?

You definitely don't get marked down for a wrong answer.. Forgot to add the exam is marked in modules ( normally about 10 per course). You need to pass all modules (75% correct). If you fail a module you can resit just that module.. I think it is just one resit allowed.

Yeah the severity of the test is that you can only fail two questions. But counteracting that is you have the text book right next to you and are allowed to look through it for answers.
    What makes it even easier is that you answer the questions as per module. So you answer all the questions from module 1 first, then all the questions from module 2. So you only need to search through one module of the material at a time!
    The course material is fairly big.

I am doing Super and Retirement planning at the moment and the course material is as follows:
    Module 1 - 30 pages
    Module 2 - 26 pages
    Module 3 - 46 pages
    Module 4 - 45 pages
    Module 5 - 40 pages
    Module 6 - 12 pages