Join our investing community

Hello

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Mebbi, 9th Oct, 2016.

1. Mebbi

Mebbi New Member

Hi,
    I am new to investing, still saving and deciding what shares to invest in.
    I have read some books and started doing the ASX tutorials.
    Any advice or words of wisdom gratefully accepted.

twisted strategies likes this.
  2. Bran

Bran Member

What books did you read and/or enjoy?

3. Mebbi

Mebbi New Member

A couple of Noel Whittaker's (Shares made simple, Superannuation made simple), Roger Kinsky (online investing), and others by Napoleon Hill and Robert Kiyosaki.
    Lots of theoretical advice. But I have yet to apply any of it.

4. Hodor

Hodor Well-Known Member

Welcome,

If compounding your wealth with long term buy and hold is your thing, read on, otherwise I am probably boring.

Consider looking at Listed Investment Companies (LICs) and Exchange Traded Funds (ETFs), I prefer LICs.

When starting out limited capital often results in having to put too many eggs in one basket so to speak. LICs and ETFs solve this problem, they allow you to buy one product and get exposure to sometimes 100s of different stocks.

The biggest and oldest LICs (AFI, ARG and MLT) have long track records, excellent conservative management and low fees (think ~0.15%). They won't shoot the lights out, however, do you think as a new investor you are likely to?

There is some great information on these things on this forum, if it doesn't answer any questions you have ask away.

5. twisted strategies

twisted strategies Well-Known Member

i am going to twist a bit of advice from Warren Buffet who loves 'understandable companies ' and suggest early on research companies in areas YOU understand well ( that could be child-care , fashion , education or a dozen sectors not related to high risk trading )

spread your wings a little later .. absolutely , but get some profit makers early, to help build confidence

( and find yourself a relable calculator , mine has been an awesome help in quick decisions )