Help - need some answers re wireless network

Discussion in 'Property Information Resources & Tools' started by Handyandy, 25th Sep, 2007.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Handyandy

Handyandy Well-Known Member

Hi All

I am going crazy due to my current wireless network.

The current gear is Netgear with a wg602 hub and a wg511 pc card. I have moved to a new area of the house in my new office :cool: but as a result it continually drops the connection.

OK, so I need to upgrade, so go looking at the Netgear site and it is just a confusion of models an features.

Basically the new gear needs to be able to cope with steel supports in the intervening floors microwaves mobile phone signals and any other disturbance that exist in a standards house.

Is there anybody out there who is across this gear and can give me a recommendation???

Cheers

2. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

I stopped using Netgear a while ago - they were good once :(

Unfortunately, your problem is not likely to be the gear as much as it is the building.

One thing you might be able to try (if your wireless access point has replacable antennas) is to upgrade the antenna to something higher powered ... here's an example: Good news story - DSL Hardware - Whirlpool Broadband Forums ... I haven't done this myself, so I can't make any recommendations.

It might be worth getting a newer wireless access point to give you something that you can replace the antenna on. I like Billion routers myself (assuming you have a wireless router and not just an access point).

... otherwise you may be looking at something like a wireless repeater - which is basically another wireless device which you put in range of the access point and it just rebroadcasts the signal, extending the range. I haven't ever implemented on on a home network, so I don't know what devices are out there or how they work.

3. crc_error

crc_error The Rule of 72

unfortunatly steal blocks the signal, its like shining a tourch on a brick wall, the signal doesn't get through.

Try fitting one of these on your PC, and possible router WiFi Wireless SMA LAN WLAN Long Antenna 2.4GHz 7dB/7dBi - eBay Antennas, Repeaters, Extenders, Wireless Networking, Networking, IT, Telecoms, Computers. (end time 26-Sep-07 22:19:00 AEST)

I bought one yesterday, so I can let you know how it goes when it arrives. But those pissy network cards with antenna at the back of the PC is not a good idea, as the metel box of the PC blocks and reflects the signal.

I also have a netgear DG834G and it works well around the house.. with my laptop, but the antenna on the PC has trouble due to the case.

4. MyArhidia

MyArhidia Member

If you can, run the router into your ceiling, the higher the better, then all your signal will need to pass though the some timber & plasterboard.

5. crc_error

crc_error The Rule of 72

Actually not necessary, cause the signal is vertical polarized meaning the signal goes out like a stone in a puddle, not up or down...

Plus you would need to be careful as the ceiling can get pretty hot in summer!

6. Handyandy

Handyandy Well-Known Member

Thanks all for your suggestions.

In the end looked rocked down to tricky dickies (wanted it now:eek:) and looked at their extended aerials $89 for the only one they had avail or $350 to totally replace both my access point and PCI card.

In the end opted for a total replace as figured the aerial may or may not work and I was really fed up.

Ended up getting D-link DIR-635 router and a G108 Aitplus extreme PCI card.

All working real sweet with no further halting. I could have stayed with my old PCI card as used it without interruptions but as I said wanted it to work NOW.

Cheers

7. AsxBroker

AsxBroker Well-Known Member

More a doughnut (toroid) or ball (spehere) Antenna (radio) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Handyandy, I've got a Dlink and it is very reliable. Mine is always on and about once every two months it needs a quick reset and rocks on for a few more months.

Cheers,

Dan

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia