Help on Clarifying Tax Status of Distributions

Discussion in 'Accounting & Tax' started by Tim__, 13th Mar, 2007.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Tim__

Tim__ Well-Known Member

Hello,

I am trying to find out if distributions by way of dividends from both shares and managed funds are automatically reinvested (DRP), are they still treated as income for tax purposes for the applicable financial year, or are they considered as reinvested and therefore capital gain at the time that the asset is realised in the future.

Thanks,

Tim

2. Simon

Simon Well-Known Member

Income.

You are deemed to have received them. Any reinvestment is seen as new funds.

Cheers,

3. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Simon is correct.

This is one of the most common misconceptions I've seen about how dividends/distributions work ... having them automatically reinvested does not change the tax status - you are still liable for the tax on that income.

4. masterjunko

masterjunko Member

Biggest headache is when you sell them. Because all these re-invested units are of different price and time try to work out the amount of CGT payable is a pain...

5. Tim__

Tim__ Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone for the replies,

that clarifies the situation and I thought it would be the case but wasn't sure.

Luckily the shares and managed funds statements provide annual tax statements otherwise it would be a nightmare to work out.

Thanks very much,

Tim