Join our investing community

Hey wdongli

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Johny_come_lately, 4th Dec, 2010.

1. Johny_come_lately

Johny_come_lately Well-Known Member

Hows it going.

You've written 69 blog posts, but no introduction. Do you mind sharing? What nationality are you? What's your trading history? What's your future plans?
    :p:D:D:D:p

J.

2. wdongli

wdongli Well-Known Member

OK, Just about my trading and investment in the past!

Hi Johny

It is big call from you! Usually I don't want to post with any personal feeling and details. However a short introduction about my trading and mind evolution in the market is OK:

1. I came from mainland of China and got an Engineer job here in 1992 after I spent nearly 5 years in England and Ireland as Researcher on Electronics and Electricity.

2. I felt interest about the property market just after I came to Australia and wrote a no-one-want-to-published book "The Australian Residential Property Investment," which forced me to fully gear into this market at 1994/1995 and hold until now. I got more paper profit than my accumulated salaries from the houses.

3. I started to trade and invest my movable cash into stockmarket since 1996 in Tech shares. No loss but some profit before 2001 but lost my shirt in 2002.

4. I started to stay in Ozestock forum since 2003 to sense what others did in the market and involved very emotionally before 2006 since I could not act as a independent market players but it let me feel I need to change my mind.

5. I started to put my focus on the logic and common senses and the context of their application within the environment in 2004. It was because IT bust had shown most of our minds were not good for the market. I would like to go into the basic to find what were wrong.

6. First read "The intelligent Investors" and "The Security Analysis" in 2004, which let me believe that all of market activities without matter what we call must have the margin of safety and fully agreed that "any sensible activities in the market are investment," said by Charley Monger.

7. I tried to make all pennies are the chips on the table in my circle since 2004 and have tried to buy low and sell high with good enough margin of safety for my dirty-cheap fish(pennies) portfolio with the notices about what Buffett could do but I could not do(such as I really didn't know how to analyze the financial statement as a businessman).

8. I started from $20,000 to set up the portfolio with my own value checker with all of logic I could use. No loss but just some profit and big enough profit between 2008 - 2009 by following "buy when the street is full of blood."

9. I took the voluntary redundancy for my daily job since financially it is viable to me then. I like the market and like its fairness and challenge. It is cool that we must be roughly right for long time.

10. I decide to find a new village for my market learning and practice since I felt not very good anymore to beat each other with our own guess in Ozestok but the inertia was to strong to leave away. But if it has to be done I have to do. All of us here are very conscious I feel and I like the blog facilities very much. So I have moved into here slowly.

10.1> We need the feeling about the involvement and we need the emotion run when it should run, which I believe only could be got by the concept shocks or brain storm but should be money shocks.

10.2> I want to win over myself and get the brain storm from others, my reading, my pondering of the market, and Market itself.

11. Do know all of us would feel difference to the same things. It is my learning experiences in the schools(I spent nearly all of my years in schools from my 6/7 years old to my 36.

12. I am in my 50s. I would like to dance on tap to do my job in my love things, market learning and practice.

13. I want to spend the similar efforts and time when I learned and worked as an Engineer. I do believe if you don't learn enough and do the job good enough in the market, you should not get the money without lucks.

14. I want to be lucky but would not depend on the lucks.

I want to be a man which could make $10,000,000 at his 70s to let the retirement time to be the best time and a personal legend time. Sound money driving but it is not. I just feel any dream needs the resources and I could turn the resources collection to be my dream.

I will stay here with my blog and talk about my pennies until I have the qualification to play the swans such as BHP! If I could go so far I feel I need to get my own team to move in my direction, which need to pay, good organization structure, strong business senses, which I don't know but learn very hard!

I feel I need a benchmark to measure my evolution in mind, which should be the posts of my blog. I must be the man which could make $10,000,000 first and then I could get it as we have to be drivers first and then we could drive to where we want in the freeway. Don't know if I could go so far. I like the journey more than the destination!

It looks a little bit longer than an introduction. Hope you are not bored to die.

Last edited by a moderator: 4th Dec, 2010
  3. Johny_come_lately

Johny_come_lately Well-Known Member

Thanks for that,

Is better than someone saying "Hi, my name is Tom. Could somebody please tell me what fund to invest $1000?" or something like that.

I am close to your age. I am getting many illnesses now. I don't like getting old. I used to love camping.

The computer is my friend. All my family and aquaintances are into property. None are into index funds. That's OK. I am afraid I don't have the courage to invest in fishes.

Johny.

4. wdongli

wdongli Well-Known Member

New challenges in 50s but we should be able to deal with them!

Hi Johny

Thank you for all of your words.

We really need the guarded optimism in all of our life!

New challenges in 50s

In 50s we would have a lot of new challenges and we get used too much for something.

I don't know when I would lose my mental refreshing capability and don't want to know. We would be much easier to be sick than anytime before. We may find big trouble with our loves since now we have to stay together everyday.

Actually we had new challenges in all of our old time and we are not so bad

But in hindsight, when could we find no problems, in our teenage, our schools for our professional jobs, in the office with some of idiotic bosses, in the expectation of our kids' future, in the dates with our loves, and so on? We just get the new problems at 50s. We have to be ready to say bye bye to the office set up by someone else.

We are not so bad. We have got the life logic and common senses. We have the financial bases which would need most of kids to work hard for their life. We could change our mind to use our base wisely in the market.

We should be easier to understand we could not be emotional free but we could lead the emotion to the place where it should be such as my blog. We could be very emotional in the concept conflict and cheerful after some big profit into our pocket but we could be very cool before we put the money into the market.

We could make new life cheerfully now

If we could make our life as they are now, we should be more happy and be able to make our new life. We just need to remove some bad inertia about life. We could make the life in different way since we are wiser if we could put some brain fuels into our mind and keep to add the fuels from anywhere we could find.

Get the things we feel comfortable and works. We don't need to compete with anyone. We just want to get a focus to let us enjoy the challenge, which we feel could be fixed and enjoy to fix!

My options and your options should be different

My fishes should not be your options as your swans or anything else in your circle should be not my loves.

W. Buffett said the key is margin of safety and its cost, and you have to use it wisely and cost-effectively in your circle of the market, business, or life.

We really need some lucks too if the cost is not too much!