Hi... Advice needed

Discussion in 'Share Investing Strategies, Theories & Education' started by FryBoy, 12th Sep, 2008.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. FryBoy

FryBoy Member

Hi All,
    I am new to investing and am considering investing in a whole sale managed fund available to my via raboplus..
    It is called the Black Rock Global Allocation Fund (AUS)(Class D Units).
    It has a 5 star morningstar rating..

It appeals to me because it is low-medium risk (or at least I think so?)
    Has averaged 15.50% gross returns since inception (approx 4 years ago)s..
    It has no fees apart from a rabo plus .75% entry fee and a .25% black rock management fee.
    It states is has a 12.5% performance fee if it outperforms any previous high water mark.(acrued daily and paid monthly from the fund)

Another appealing factor to me is that via raboplus I can make $250 investments at a time, which is great way for someone of a limited budget to start off with...

Does anyone have any views on Blackrock or this style of investment as a whole?
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated to someone is who is looking for a low/medium risk investment for medium-long term time frame..

2. AsxBroker

AsxBroker Well-Known Member

Hi Fry,

No one will give you "advice" through this forum as we don't take into account your personal situation, though alot of us are happy to give general information on a variety of situations.

The return figures seem a little outdated, you can check the latest on the BlackRock website here BlackRock Investment Management (Australia) The 12 months til 30th June 2008 returned 3.67% pa.

Cheers,

Dan

PS Before making an investment decision speak to your FPA registered Financial Planner.

3. FryBoy

FryBoy Member

"The 12 months til 30th June 2008 returned 3.67% pa."

Thanks for your reply
    I understand that no specific finanical advice can be given, however all i am after is personal opinion..
    Is 3.97% a good figure considering the current downturn in the market? Or is that a figure which should be raising concerns?
    Thanks again.

4. Young Gun

Young Gun Guest

I wouldn't put too much value on that 5 star rating.....

Past performance isn't something I'd base my investment decision on either....

5. FryBoy

FryBoy Member

So then what should I be basing it on?
    Does this look like a good safe pick or not?
    Cheers

6. Young Gun

Young Gun Guest

There is no such thing as a safe bet, cash is your only "safe" bet. You need to determine what sort of investor you are. Do you want high returns or a safe bet? because you can't have both.

You also need to determine your investment time horizon and the purpose of your investment, answer those questions and it will be easier for people on here to suggest a fund for you.

7. FryBoy

FryBoy Member

Thanks for that..
    Well I am happy to accept medium risk... and looking at a period of at least 5 years... Any personal opinion on that would be very welcome.
    Cheers

8. crc_error

crc_error The Rule of 72

not bad since many australian share funds are down up to 20% over the last 12 months..