Join our investing community

Hi everyone

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Seamus, 20th Apr, 2008.

1. Seamus

Seamus Member

As someone who has been hanging around for a while but only recently registered, I just wanted to introduce myself and say "Hi".

My educational background is in Commerce and Computer Science and I worked at Melbourne Uni for a few years before leaving the "lifestyle" job and heading to the private sector.

I now work at AXA as an IT Technical Architect - basically designing the IT systems that AXA's financial products run on. I love the work and while it's mostly IT-based, I also get great exposure to AXA's business and financial requirements.

I'm in my early 30s and have finally settled down after a good few years of travelling and am starting to focus on investing. Not too much to speak of yet (~$35k shared between Rabobank savings account and Vanguard index share funds) but my partner and I earn pretty good salaries (both around $130k each) and we're keen to get saving.

The current plan is to build up some relatively conservative leveraged (~50%) investments mostly in index funds until we've got enough to start looking at some direct property investments.

Anyway, that's me. Thanks for all the interesting reading on the site!

2. Nigel Ward

Nigel Ward Team InvestEd

Welcome on board Seamus

Your plan sounds like a good sensible one. The challenge of course is to ensure that the excess saving capacity you and your partner should have is not frittered away on extravagant living...(altho occasional indulgence is important).

If your respective payroll/HR people can direct it straight into say your Rabo account pending it being automatically debited that's a good painless way to do it.

Without many deductions atm you're paying a lot of tax. However, through instalment gearing you can gradually build up your deductible investment borrowings.

Keep reading and learning but don't get easily distracted from your simple but effective plan.

Cheers
    N

3. Seamus

Seamus Member

Thanks Nigel.

I agree with the comment about not frittering away the saving capacity. My partner and I have both enjoyed ourselves and are committed to regularly saving and investing money. We live pretty cheaply and don't have a car (bikes for us...and not the motor variety) so we think we can put away $5,000 per month between us.

I'm a big believer in the efficient markets theory having studied the area reasonably well at University so I'm currently working hard on my risk profile and hence asset allocation. Will probably start with Vanguard retail and then look at some of the DFA funds when my investments grow enough to make this worthwhile.