Join our investing community

Hi from Clovelly

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by simond11, 24th Mar, 2007.

1. simond11

simond11 Member

Hi all
    Just joined this forum today, and wanted to say hello to everyone.
    Live in Clovelly with my wife, we are both long haul flight attendants (please, no Lisa Robinson jokes) and are starting our investment portfolio.
    Want to invest in 3-4 states, and build up a number of properties we can use as our future "superannuation".
    I spend a lot of time on the internet looking through property info and have found some good deals just by doing some thorough research.
    Currently looking at Brisbane and some areas of WA.
    This looks like a really good forum.
    Cheers

Simon

2. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Co-founder Staff Member

Thanks Simon - and welcome. Great to see you looking to the future and starting to invest ... and great to see you here too !

Are you only considering real estate at the moment - or are you also looking into shares / funds ?

Are there any areas of WA with any growth potential left in them ? I thought it was mostly all post-peak now and not really doing much ? I don't follow the market there, so I don't know details.

3. Bantam Roosta

Bantam Roosta Well-Known Member

Welcome Simon.

Do you get to stop much in different cities, so that you can go IP shopping while there? If that was the case then it would be a great asset when looking.

BR

4. simond11

simond11 Member

It's certainly interesting looking at property in different parts of the world. Ultimately it all boils down to the same thing: affordability and whether you can make repayments.
    There is a lot more renting than buying in Europe, although the UK has the same mindset as Australia, and owning your own property is a priority. Houses are quite expensive in the UK, and the Brits seem to have fallen in love with places such as Spain. The TV is full of programs that deal with buying and renovating in such countries. Mediterranean countries tend to have a lot more rentals, and they seem to be happy that way.
    Regarding WA, I believe there are still some pockets which lay "undiscovered" and could be quite profitable, but not now. We are talking long term here.
    Country areas will tend to give you good rental returns, but not much capital growth.
    Currently looking at sub-divisible blocks, where we can rent the house out, and sub-divide the back block and either sell it or build on it. Bit of a pain, but probably worth it, if you can get it at the right price.
    Still learning a hell of a lot!!:)
    Cheers

Simon

5. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Well you've made a good start by posting an intro here (and for all the new members who haven't done so, why not post your first message just to say hi) ;)

Brisbane is always high on my list of cities to invest in. Having lived half my life there, I feel very comfortable purchasing property there.

Having said that, Sydney is now coming back on my radar. It's been through some hard times and there appears to be some good value around. I'm sure that in 5-10 years people will be looking back at this time and thinking "I wish I had purchased back then!"

Welcome, and I look forward to hearing where your investment pathway takes you!

Cheers,

Steve

6. Jacque

Jacque Team InvestEd

Hi Simon

So how is the search in Brissy going for dvpt blocks? Any joy yet?
    Would love an update, if you've been busy :)

7. Simon

Simon Well-Known Member

Hi Simon,

:) :)

Cheers,

8. simond11

simond11 Member

Hi all
    The search in WA has proved fruitful, with the purchase of a 3 bedroom house in Warnbro for 319K, about 1km from the beach. Comparable houses are curremntly being sold around 345K-365K, so I think we have been lucky. We used a Buyer's Agent from Perth and we think they are fantastic.
    Brisbane is very slow. We are also using a Buyer's Agent there, but we have not been contacted so far (searches started about 2 weeks ago). We shall wait and see.
    Cheers

Simon

9. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

The Brisbane market seems to be on the move of late looking at realestate.com.au 'lots' of under contract/offer

10. KevinH

KevinH Well-Known Member

Sounds like good buying in Warnbro.
    Even better if its has potential for duplexing in the future.
    I think that whole coastal strip south of Perth all the way to Mandurah will remain popular, and the same north up to Yanchep.

Another overseas market that may be worth investigating in Malaysia.
    They are currently attracting lots of expats with the new incentives put in place to attract investment ( no CGT on sales, no restrieciton on property purchase, no duty on first car, etc)

My sister in law and her husband were flighties...they got amazing discounts on their fares. Made overseas trips real bargains.

KEvin

11. Jacque

Jacque Team InvestEd

So how's the Brissy search going and which BA are you using up there?
    Would love an update- Brissy is my second favourite city :D