Join our investing community

Hi from New Zealand ;)

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by sarahk, 21st Jul, 2006.

1. sarahk

sarahk New Member

Simon just found my forums' directory so I thought I'd join here. Bound to be a bit of a lurker however.

Technically I'm a property investor but I tend to leave that to my husband Andrew King and concentrate on the geekier side of things.

I'm happy to help out with any questions on websites, forums and property management software.

If you like InvestEd then follow the top link in my sig and give this forum a boost ;)

2. Jacque

Jacque Team InvestEd

Nice to meet you, Sarah :)
    Care to share your insight on the current RE market in your part of NZ?

3. sarahk

sarahk New Member

The market is still going strong in NZ. There are reports of it slowing down but housing affordability studies don't bear this out. Vendors aren't selling if they can't get their price so turnover is down but the threatened slump in values just isn't happening.

The cycle has been driven at different times in different areas as a specific location peaks and the next area out starts to gain attention - but that's a fairly predictable pattern don't you think?

Investors, typically, get the blame for pushing up house prices at the low end of the market up but that shows ignorance of how investors actually work. I believe we tend to temper the prices and walk away from those that won't return the right yield etc.

Right now you wouldn't want to be a first time buyer but it's good for investors as interest rates are rising and we will find some good opportunities coming from those who haven't allowed for them. That said 10 years ago we thought holiday baches were expensive and now we think the prices are mad (much higher than the equivalent in the city) - what will we think in another decade? That we should have bought now?

4. D&K

D&K Well-Known Member

Hi Sarah,

Interesting website, useful links for NZ too. We have a few NZ IPs so that will give us another source for market news.

Do you really think interest rates will go up further? Prices have dropped in Auckland (one of the IPs), and we felt that we've had enough of NZ interest rates rises for now - what was positive cash flow is now negative. :(

Regards, D&K