Hilarious old time RE ads

Discussion in 'Real Estate' started by Jacque, 20th Apr, 2007.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Jacque

Jacque Jacque Parker Premium Member

Came across these reading a book recently (the absolutely insightful "Getting Through- how to make words work" by Godfrey Howard) and just had to share them.
    They are RE ads from an English agent, Roy Brooks, who obviously got tired of the usual list of boring classifieds ads in the RE section of the newspaper, so decided to inject some creativity. Through them he became the best known agent in the UK in the 1960's, and subsequently sold a LOT of property. Enjoy!
    *Substitute the dollar sign for english pounds, by the way*

EARLS CT. Spacious 2nd/3rd flr Mais which fiercely bearded painter acquired "from a rather dull fella in the Secret Service. I sculp a bit in wood so I've been able to do some smashing fitted cupbds in kit". Artistic arch links, 2 rec rms to form fab STUDIO rec rm. 3 bedrms. Bathrm. kit. steel sink unit. SUNBATHING ROOF. Lse 64 yrs GR $19 ONLY $6,995 even try an offer.

There is a fashionable odour of decay in this PIMLICO PERIOD RES. 8/9 rms in horrible state of decoration. Innocent of all modern amenities. Nature has fought back in the garden- and won. Single family occupation only as subletting not allowed in this fashionable slum development. BARGAIN $8,450 Lse 80 yrs. GR $50.

For those of you who watch Property Ladder (like myself) you'll recognise that a rec rm means a living/lounge room and a Mais refers to what's known as a maisonette or duplex/two floor apartment.