Hiring Casual Employees

Discussion in 'Starting & Running a Business' started by Chris C, 3rd May, 2009.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Chris C

Chris C Well-Known Member

Recently I have been seriously considering hiring a casual employee or two that would work 10 - 12 hours a week and help with my business.

I was just wondering what if anyone had any good practical advice in going about employee casual employees? Like things I really need to look into etc etc? Also is there anything I need to know here form a tax stand point?

I have done a bit of reading around and I read that I may need to setup PAYG and Super Contributions? I was just wondering what this involved and if it something that I should be looking to get an accountant to handle?

Also I have been looking at making a move overseas, and was wondering what would happen in the event that I do move to Singapore, would I still be Able to continue employing Australians as casual employees? What business and tax implications are there for doing something like this?

2. AsxBroker

AsxBroker Well-Known Member

Hi Chris,

Superannuation Guarantee Contributions (SGC) has to be paid if employees are paid more than $450 per month.

Cheers,

Dan

3. Chris C

I'm hoping at this stage (at least in the early period of employment) I won't be paying the individual more than $450 a month, though I do expect to exceed this limit if the arrangement proves itself to be worthwhile.

Anything else I should be looking into?

4. NickM

NickM Well-Known Member

Hi Chris
    you need to also consider Workers comp. Compulsory in most states. NSW has a threshold now of $7Kpa whereby it is not required.

If you have a company, you will need to ensure you have at least 1 Aust resident director
    Nickm

5. Chris C

Thanks for the input Nick.

I don't presently have a company I have a sole trading business. So would I need to incorporate and get a director that was also an Australian resident to continue employing people in Australia?