Home Security Tips

Discussion in 'Real Estate' started by Jacque, 18th Dec, 2005.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Jacque

Jacque Jacque Parker Premium Member

Simple but nevertheless may be helpful to some of us who need reminders about what to do when we're away these holidays.
    I found this list on a site recently and thought it useful enough to share a shortened version:

Always use security deadlocks and grills on doors and windows. Have one or two window grills hinged to allow easy exit in case of an emergency

Choose quality deadlocks that allow one key to open all locks

Do not hide extra keys in flowerpots or under mats- it's the first place thieves look

Do not give your security keys to anyone that you do not know

Make sure your home or business is clearly visible from the street

Prune bushes and trees that obscure windows and doors have adequate lighting at outside doors

When at home keep doors locked, but make sure you can exit easily if necessary

Avoid having parcels delivered to the doorstep
    If having goods delivered while you are out, have a neighbour collect them

Wheelie bins are a great stepladder - store them away

When out for a short time, leave a light and the radio or television on to give the impression that someone is at home

Have a neighbour park a car in the driveway

Keep cash and valuables out of easy reach, and out of sight

Do not keep all valuables in the same place but spread them out to a few different locations in the house

Redirect your mail if a neighbour cannot collect it

Install timers for lights at night time

Merry and safe Christmas to everyone!

2. Jane Pryor

Jane Pryor Active Member

Thanks, Jacque. These are always a great idea. As we've had our house broken into this year, I know the risks involved with going away and even just going out for the evening.

We now always leave something on - TV, radio, music.

We always leave various lights on and semi-close blinds in selected rooms.

Not to mention now being militant about locks on windows and doors being engaged. Just ask me how many I've got of each in the house and I can tell you. (Wish my memory was so good in poker).

3. Tzaki

Tzaki Well-Known Member

Get a dog - ours barked for the second time one early morning, this was followed by some swearing and an intruder scrabbling over the gate :D

Poor Tia (the dog) probably scared herself more than the intruder, she didn't know where THAT loud noise came from, she would bark and then look around for the noisemaker! :rolleyes:

Also instal a security system box (box with blue light on it) under the eaves of your house, it doesn't need to have the security system, just the box!

We also leave a light or radio on when we go away.

All our neighbours have been burgled in the 20 years we have lived here, but we haven't due to the above... and maybe the native garden out the front, it looks less imposing than those either side.

Oh, we leave our dogs at home when we travel, and we generally avoid being away during peak holiday periods (mainly to avoid the crowds!)

4. Jacque

Jacque Jacque Parker Premium Member

Your post made me laugh :) Is Tia a terrier?
    I can just see our miniature daschund scaring off any intruders- they may be small but geez they can be quite fearsome at times!

5. Tzaki

Tzaki Well-Known Member

Tia is a Sheppard/Kelpie/Staffie cross (+others??) we also have a Jack Russel called Prince (the kids named him - Honest! :eek: )

Tia is a marshmellow, Prince is the noisebag!

Terriers (or Terrorisers! :D ) are NUTS, with a "Huh it's ONLY the size of an elephant, I can take it!!!" attitude.

Both dogs are jelous of any attention given to the other one, so patting them is a two handed operation. Prince, who can sit on your lap hates to, while Tia would love to be a spoilt lapdog!

6. perky

perky Well-Known Member

Go Max !!!!!!!!! He does have a loud bark :D

7. TryHard

TryHard Well-Known Member

Security

I SO sympathise with the 2 handed patting of the dogs ! If we pat the large boy boxer, the little girl boxer catapults between the dog and pat-giver, then pushes him away and alternates between growls at him and "I love you so much" air licking to the human to encourage maximum pats ... :) ... He has NO idea he is twice her size.

I read a newspaper article a long time ago about Christopher Skase's previous bodyguard (cough). He applied to install a barb wire fence for security for some big soiree, and was knocked back by the Council. So he bought in some huge potted bougainvilleas in concrete pots and put them all in a row - nature's razor wire I think he called them :)

Then you could do what a local Brisbane "entrepeneur" did - recorded the intruders on closed circuit TV and recognised them from the footage. Tracked one of them down, drove him to a secluded spot, and crushed his knuckles with a pair of pliers, till he told him where all the stolen goods had been pawned. Scary, but pretty much what someone who disrespects another's property deserves, IMHO. Of course, I don't think the Courts see it quite that way.

Stay safe ;-)
    Carl