Join our investing community

How do professional traders think?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Tropo, 26th Oct, 2016.

1. Tropo

Tropo Well-Known Member

2. Aaron Sice

Aaron Sice Member

I think it's a bit simpler than that.

I try to view my trades in percent instead of dollars.

I also don't trade more or less than 20% of any available capital on any one trade.

That way, I'm not exposed to too much risk but is substantial enough to avoid trading for trading system sake at a nil-profit exercise after comms, spreads, interest, etc.

I mean, if you could make 10% on a trade, why only put $1000 on it if you have a portfolio balance of $100k? It's a waste of effort and resource.

If you will put $1 on it, then you should put 20% on it.

Wins are in percent. Losses are in percent. Capital allocated is percent.

Divorce your mindset from dollars and all its associations.

3. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Co-founder Staff Member

I recall sitting around at an investor meetup with a bunch of (amateur) traders comparing the size of their ... "returns" (expressed in percentages of course). When pressed about their massive percentage gains they admitted they only had a few thousand dollars exposed to that trade and their total trading capital was in the order of $20K or so.

That's fine - you have to start somewhere, but don't boast about huge percentage returns until you can do it over and over again and have at least a six figure exposure to the markets - then I'll be very interested in learning how you manage your risk.

If you can afford to absorb your loss using your salary income - you're not seriously investing and your risk profile is completely different to having enough exposure to cause some serious issues if you don't actually have a risk management strategy in place.

austing and twisted strategies like this.