Join our investing community

How much super is enough?

Discussion in 'Superannuation, SMSF & Personal Insurance' started by twisted strategies, 31st Oct, 2019.

1. twisted strategies

twisted strategies Well-Known Member

How much super is enough?

goodness gracious !!

how long is a piece of string

we are in a low yield high risk world , what are the chances of the portfolio contracting sharply in the next 5 years ?

i yes how far

the magic of compounding only works well when you have dividends to reivest , and a dry patch ( no dividents or bond interest , is quite possible .

add in the risk of political meddling , and 'save as much as you can ' is about the only sound advice left

we are deep in uncharted territory , guessing is the dominant strategy , and yet you are expected to PLAN not gamble .. good game , good game

( anyone like to guess on the inflation in 10 years time ??? )

RS Gumby likes this.
  2. Terrence gardner

Terrence gardner New Member

Hi, I an 59 and will go into transition to retirement next year. I have planned for 1 million dollars of super on a 5% drawdown. My wife has an air b and b that brings $50,000 per annum, we intend to spend the entire super over 25 years. At 85 I guess our needs will be minimal and we don't have kids to leave anything too.

twisted strategies likes this.
  3. twisted strategies

twisted strategies Well-Known Member

good luck , i hope your health holds up ( mine didn't )

watch out for regulation changes

cheers

4. AnthonyKing

AnthonyKing Well-Known Member

The pollies say for us citizens $1.6 Million is heaps but for themselves about 5 million capital value Pension account. Miss Julia Gillard got almost 6 million of mostly taxpayers money. Her pension was around $200,000 plus inflation per year at age 55 with a life expectancy of maybe 35 years.

If you feel jealous at least its an honest emotion.

More importantly what did she achieve for us citizens?

Well she did impose a CO2 tax on us after saying: "There will be no carbon tax under the Govt. I lead!" on August 16th 2010 that's how she got the JULIAR tag in the Australian press.

The $1.6 million for us citizens is based on the pollies assumptions that we are much lesser value beings and only due to get 75% of an average Aussie salary regardless of what we actually achieve in life. So take advantage of all the InvestChat entrepreneurial ideas and accumulate with many, many millions!
    AnthonyK

twisted strategies likes this.