Managed Funds How to Invest

Discussion in 'Shares & Funds' started by HHH__, 30th Apr, 2006.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. HHH__

HHH__ Active Member

Hello

What is the best way to actually invest in a fund like the Navra Retail Fund. Does everyone just fill out the form and lodge direct with Navra, or do you go through someone like Nevward direct (now commsec) where they rebate the upfront commission etc?

Can some please explain the process and how Nevward actually fit in the picture - I am new to investing in funds.

Pros and cons of each would also be appreciated.

thanks

2. Maverick__

Maverick__ Well-Known Member

Hi,

You can obtain PDS (download or request via post) through discounted dealer like InvestSMART of DirectAccess – they rebate 100% of your initial investment fee. PDS then already has dealers stamp and you can send an application to a fund manager directly (together with a cheque, if this is your payment method).

Be cautious when selecting type of managed fund – some offer Entry Fee and No Entry Fee options for the same fund. The No Entry Fee option will have greater management fees – you do not want that. You can select Entry Fee option because your entry fee is rebated to you 100% (if using appropriate dealers) anyway :)

I like InvestSMART and DirectAccess:
    - InvestSMART - has really good website, research tools, promotions, tracking tools, etc. It doesn’t have all the MF in their list though (for research or investment), e.g. Platinum. InvestSMART best feature is their TrailCap program, where they give you back any trailing commissions above $396 p.a.!
    - DirectAccess – has more funds in the list for research (beware of the Sorting – they first display the funds with PDS – so you can invest through them – and then funds without PDS, even though some may have greater returns!)

I have quickly looked on Nevward – their Fund Managers list is very limited (no NavraInvest, no Platinum for example).

And if you cannot get discount for some funds – then just download PDS from their website, fill the details, attach a cheque and send directly to a Fund Manager.

Good Luck!

3. Simon

Simon Well-Known Member

Nevward does have Navra and Platinum.

4. TryHard

TryHard Well-Known Member

Hey HHH

From my completely-limited-to-Navra-Invest experience, you can download the PDS from Navrainvest.com.au and complete it without an advisor and invest direct with no additional fees payable.

The only downside I am aware of in that case is you could make an investment without taking into account your goals and risk profile etc. You also might not compare it to returns from other funds out there, risking the loss of other opportunities.

In my case I opted for direct as I was reasonably certain NI fitted our needs and its a relatively conservative fund, and we need our dough back at short notice for a housebuild we're building.

HTH HHH
    Cheers
    Carl

5. MJK__

MJK__ Well-Known Member

You can speak to a Navra Financial Services Adviser in your State.

MJK

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia