Managed Funds How to start with a MF ?

Discussion in 'Shares & Funds' started by Bez__, 27th Dec, 2007.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Bez__

Bez__ Member

Hey guys, im thinking about investing some money into the Navra Retail fund.
    Just wondering how you go about starting it ?
    Is there forms I fill in or do I need to see a financial adviser ?

Where/how do I start ?

Thanks..

2. samaka

samaka Well-Known Member

You can download the PDS of their website. Then simply print it off, fill it in and send it to them.

As an aside - why Navra?

3. tailcat

tailcat Well-Known Member

Buy the mf through someone like Investsmart and save the 4.4% entry fee.....

Just download the PDS from Investsmart instead of directly from Navrainvest.

Tailcat

4. Bez__

Bez__ Member

Thanks guys :)

As for why Navra, well im not realy set on any one MF at the moment. Navra just seems to be pretty popular for an income fund..

5. TPI

TPI Well-Known Member

Ah, if it was all just a popularity contest...

6. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

I think a more important question is - why were you looking at an "income" fund ?

Perhaps if you explain what you are trying to achieve with your investment ?

PS. I think Navra is a very good, conservative fund - but is not necessarily the most effective fund (especially from a tax perspective) ... depending on your goals and strategy.

7. Bez__

Bez__ Member

Thanks Sim,
    I currently earn $34,000 a year from work, after rent, food, petrol and bills it dosnt leave much left for investing..
    I also have 1 IP which is costing me about $50 a week, less after tax.

So i guess im looking for ways to boost my income so I have more money to invest

Cheers..

8. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Depending on your appetite for risk, I think a good growth fund would serve you better in the long term. Investing in an income fund returning 10 - 20% income before tax will certainly help your income a bit (but not a huge amount - unless you have a large amount of capital to invest up front) ... but investing in a growth fund returning 10 - 30% (or more) over the long term will generally help more over the long term - especially after tax.

One good thing that an income fund offers is that once you have the income - that profit is "locked in" ... you can't lose it unless you spend it or put it back "at risk" by re-investing it. With a growth fund, a change in market conditions can see all your gains wiped away - but then again, the capital value of your Navra holdings would also move with the markets (although it doesn't tend to fall quite as much in a down market).

My father-in-law is nearing retirement age and loves the conservative income generating nature of the Navra funds (better returns than term deposits), but for a longer term investment view (10+ years), I think a growth fund - perhaps even a geared fund like CFS Geared Australian Share, is going to show much higher returns from investments in similar types of shares.

Just some suggestions.

9. spider

spider Well-Known Member

Navra

Yeah. I agree, I am close to retirement and my wife and I live off the Navra distributions and salary sacrifice both our salaries. Navra is what it is, an income fund..

Liverpool St.