Hybrid Trust

Discussion in 'Accounting & Tax' started by Chomp__, 19th Feb, 2008.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Chomp__

Chomp__ Well-Known Member

Can anybody tell me;

If I sell my ppor to a hybrid trust and then I decide to rent a house somewhere else for myself.

Would I be able to claim the rent I pay as an expense? and how much?

or

Would anyone have a good link showing me the benefits of a HDT in this situation?

I am pretty sure this would have been covered before so I do apologise but this computer is so slow, searching is taking for ages!

2. tonyused

tonyused Active Member

I would think twice about what you want to do.

Ask yourself - what am I trying to accomplish? To get a tax deduction for the interest on the morgaged PPOR? as against stamp duty costs & loss of CGT exemption from thereon.

The rent you pay is not tax deductable as it is a private expense.

This article by the NTAA, allbeit for professional accountants, is a very good essay on the use of Hybrid trusts for tax planning purposes.

National Tax & Accountants' Association - Your Association at Work - Using hybrid trusts - advanced tax planning ..and click on the PDF link.

I wouldn't use hybrid trusts myself, as the ATO don't like them IF THERE IS ANY DISCRETIONARY ASPECT to them at all.

If you must - then first get an ATO private ruling on the setup.

3. MattR

MattR Well-Known Member

Don't forget Land Tax aswell.

Do you need help with investment strategies, don’t want to buy the wrong stocks, or you just need a regular income stream? We provide the research to ensure your investment selections achieve the goals. This is the value of advice.