Join our investing community

I know I need to 'get over it' but ...

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by TryHard, 18th Aug, 2005.

1. TryHard

TryHard Well-Known Member

I've been working late a lot lately. Stupidly I let ABC TV stay on in the background to the point I accidentally catch Parliamentary Question Time. It always makes me stop and look for 10 minutes until the pain is just too much.

Last night Amanda "Sometimes Mistaken For Megan Gale" Vanstone had a slanging match with Evans on the opposition about how many people she had wrongly detained, and her claim that at least her efforts to find all her Dept's past mistakes was a first, rather than brush them under the carpet like most would (she was probably right on that score, if she truly is trying to do something useful).

Anyway the verbal diarrhoea from both sides was bad enough, but the jibing idiots on the back bench who wouldn't know a good one-liner if it bit them on their grey pinstriped ar^# whine and moan and backstab in the background. Then in shot in the small piece of screen you can see behind Vanstone, the atypical Fat Cat is nodding off, while the Speaker tries to control the gaggle.

It makes me cry that these people determine future policy. I know you can't let it get to you, but how do you explain to your kids that these are the idiots running the country.

As a kid (mid 80's :cool: ) I had the misfortune of being a gopher in a Qld Govt Dept - national party stalwart Allen Callaghan looked down his swollen nose at me and said "what's this sh*t ?" as he was presented with open sandwiches with prawns, avocado, caviar etc - apparently not sufficiently upmarket fare for a pollie. He since got sprung by the CJC spending RSPCA's funds feeding his family at Sizzler, so I reckon that's justice.

I * hate * politicians

I feel better now.

2. Jacque

Jacque Team InvestEd

Feel better getting that off your chest now? :)
    Well, this might add fuel to your fire but just have to share it-t'was sent to me recently about some of the world's more "famous" pollies:

Situation
    It is time to elect a new world leader, and only your vote counts. Here are
    the facts about the three candidates.

Candidate A.
    Associates with crooked politicians, and consults with astrologist. He's had two mistresses. He also chain smokes and drinks 8 to 10 martinis a day.

Candidate B
    He was kicked out of office twice, sleeps until noon, used opium in college
    and drinks a quart of whiskey every evening.

Candidate C
    He is a decorated war hero. He's a vegetarian, doesn't smoke, drinks an
    occasional beer and never cheated on his wife. Which of these candidates
    would be your choice?
    Decide first... no peeking, then scroll down for the response.

>------------------------------------------------------------------------
    >------------------------------------------------------------------------

Candidate A is Franklin D. Roosevelt.
    Candidate B is Winston Churchill.
    Candidate C is Adolf Hitler.

3. TryHard

TryHard Well-Known Member

Heil...

Hi Jacque

Actually I feel better now I have slept off the red wine hangover that caused the initial tirade ;-)

Wireless internet is a double edged sword :) too easy to sit in front of telly with a vino and type at the same time

I must admit I didn't guess them, but its a bit unfair they mentioned Winnie used opium and forgot to mention Hitler's cocaine AND opiate addiction ;-) - I reckon I would have guessed at least Hitler then ... :D

Thanks for the story