Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Simon

Simon Well-Known Member

2. Nigel Ward

Nigel Ward Well-Known Member

I see their sign on the pacific highway at North sydney.

They're trying to float but PBL are hammering them on a copyright issue. Sounds bogus to me - a tactic to scuttle them because you can choose not to record ads. They will probably have to delay the float and issue a supplementary prospectus due to the court case.

I think it's a good concept in principle and I understand from media reports they have around 1800 real paying subscribers...so that's a good start.

Don't know much else. How about you review the prospectus and give us the lowdown? :D

Cheers
    N.

3. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Yeah, IceTV are the only (that I'm aware of) free-to-air electronic program guide service available in Australia.

A few digital set top boxes (including the Topfield range that I prefer) can take a feed from IceTV to give you a complete week-long program guide to be loaded onboard and accessible via your STB remote. Very handy.

Personally I use a free service that does something similar - but it's not as reliable, and a lot more of a hassle to set up.

The digital broadcast only includes the current show and the next show ... you dont get info on what's on for the rest of the day, or the rest of the week like you do with an EPG (electronic program guide).

4. TryHard

TryHard Well-Known Member

Lack of decent and reliable EPG's is a real hassle, and the networks don't seem to do much to address the situation - if they did, Ice would not have a market At the current point in time, Ice are filling a real niche (the service is only $3 per week so it would get further take-up quite easily you'd reckon).

There is a thread discussing it from the user's point of view on http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtopic=34288

The PBL situation is mentioned :
    "PBL is suing IceTV out of business purely to stop them providing a facility they do not want the FTA viewing public to have. They know full well that IceTV's financial situation means they cannot adequately defend themselves.

It's corporate thuggery at it's worst, and if anyone from PBL is reading this, you should be ashamed of yourselves."

Given the extremely dynamic nature of electronic distribution, the potential for broadband TV changing the landscape, and the bullying tactics of incumbents with bottomless pockets, I personally would rank Ice as a speculative and somewhat high risk investment. Would love to see them succeed though.

Cheers
    Carl

5. Andrew__

Andrew__ Member

I heard or read that ebroadcast (sofcom) acquired the rights to all electronic
    distributions of free to air tv guides long before anybody at the networks
    wised up to the internet.

andy