Join our investing community

Ideas please :)

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Jacque, 6th Sep, 2006.

1. Jacque

Jacque Team InvestEd

The great thing about forums like this is the collective wisdom of ideas and suggestions from the members :D hint hint!!

I need help with thinking up a desk item that I can brand and give to possible referral sources to aid in the subtle promotion of my business. I've thought of desk pads (does anyone still use these in offices?), clocks, calculators, notepads and pens (boring I know). Does anyone have any bright ideas?
    Looking forward to the mind power of many :D :D

2. Nigel Ward

Nigel Ward Team InvestEd

How about:

1) post it notes with your logo as a watermark on them?

2) a house inspection checklist?

3) coffee mugs

4) baseball caps (you can make the kids wear them! :D )

5) mousemats...

N.

3. jenpalex

jenpalex Active Member

I love executive toys myself.

jenpalex

4. TryHard

TryHard Well-Known Member

Jacque

I used to work in the travel industry and we got all sorts of weird stuff ... the vast majority went in the bin (unless it was grog, in which case it was finished by 7PM that day, no matter how cheap and awful it was) ....

one that really stuck was this exec toy style thing with magentised balls (no rude jokes anyone) because it was annoying yet hard not to fiddle with (again, no jokes...) but it was different to all the same same stuff people kept dumping on us

Kind of like this stuff these days I guess :
    http://www.puzzlesdownunder.com.au/en-us/dept_153.html

and some other places for inspiration ?
    http://www.officeplayground.com/
    http://toys.listings.ebay.ie/Games_Executive-Toys-Gadgets_W0QQsacatZ80547QQsocmdZListingItemList

Thing is, the technology is so cheap these days you can probably do 100 times what you could back then within a budget :) Like USB-powered stuff (coffee cup warmers etc :) )

I think above all, do something that is rare and different, even if it costs a couple of bucks extra. People will appreciate the effort and uniqueness, and half as many will end up in the bin or given to the kids to destroy. The only use for a coffee cup is to save washing up the old one ;-)
    Whatever you get someone is likely to be able to brand for you with vinyl lettering or whatever, if the supplier can't ...

In the chain hardware store (the one with the dogalog ad, whichever it is) they have a wind up back flipping dog for $2 - Ella loves it - admittedly for $2 it doesn't always land on its feet but still ...
    I guess they got them somewhere like this (but in bulk, and cheaper)
    http://www.greatwindup.com/wu_ani.htm

So much plastic, so little time :)

Cheers
    Carl

5. TryHard

6. alexlee

alexlee Member

Paperweights. I've always liked paperweights.

7. Nigel Ward

Nigel Ward Team InvestEd

Technology costs are dropping all the time, how about branded usb thumb drives? Or pens with memory in them...

8. Jacque

Jacque Team InvestEd

You guys are fantastic :D
    Carl, I really love how way out you are!!!

Nigel, pens with memory???? I've never seen these.........:confused:

9. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

Agree with Nigel I've seen a few *funky* Memory Sticks of late with Logo's on them; you keep them because its your data contained within..

10. TryHard

Although to keep within a tight budget, you could stab prospects in the head with a biro, and tell them they now have memory with a pen in it (they won't forget you in a hurry) - much more affordable
    :p

11. Redwing

WOW Pen really is Mightier than the Sword ;) and nearly as sharp

12. See Change

See Change Well-Known Member

What about a laptop :D ?

Seriously though most stuff ends up in the bin.
    Although cliched , when I get a pen that actually writes nicely I hang on to them , but it's got to write well. Currently my favourite is one from Centrelink.... Not an expensive one, just writes nicely.

Gimicky pens are good. There's one made up out of a large spring , so it beds , has that look again effect . There was one that looked like a syringe , that was rapidly withdrawn from distribution , though treasured by those who got one....

I'm sure there are companies around ( and exhibitions for all of that sort of stuff)

Fridge magnets can be functional , if you let them on your fridge.

See Change

13. TryHard

I reckon there would be nothing better than a decent handout from Centrelink ;)

14. Jacque

Jacque Team InvestEd

Actually, with some of the gems I've met lately, this idea is very very tempting!!
    Love your way out humour, Carl- you really bring a smile to my face!!

15. TryHard

Thanks Jacque :D ... in all the Corporate positions I held in my previous life I was generally given the role of Court Jester, which I think was more to do with a lack of any sort of job skills than my rather warped sense of humour. I'm still skill-less, but I find that funny, so life's still just a big laugh-in for me ;)

16. Balboa

Balboa Member

Returning to suggestions for Corporate Imaging devices-- A bottle opener/ cork screw with your Co. logo or name engraved on each one could be presented to your clients with the note that they can use it to open a celebratory bottle of champers when they complete the purchase of the property that you have sourced for them.Further to that, when they complete a purchase you could have wine with your own label-- not too hard to produce the printed labels for some of the cleanskin quality wines available.This could be an economical do-it -yourself production-- without having to get other manufacturers involved as would be necessary with other logo printed goods.All the best.

17. Sultan of Swing

Sultan of Swing Member

Hi all :D

Ok, I like some of these ideas.

I like the idea of a cork screw/bottle opener thingy with a logo or so on it.
    I also like a good pen that writes well. Last Christmas I received one from one of the local solicitors we deal with and have even bought a refill for it cos it was a reasonable quality and looked good.

If you're going to do a fridge magnet, rather then having a boring old one with your business card details on it, how about getting one made in the shape of a house. You could individualise it by leaving a space and putting in the number of the house they've bought through you on it, if appropriate. You’d still have your web site or name or something on it just so they remember you every time they look at it.

One I don't think has been mentioned is a calendar but not a boring, run of the mill fridge magnet one but one with good photography of different styles of houses for each month. As most of your clients are in Sydney, you'd have most (all) of them as Sydney homes. (If you wanted some Tassie ones, I could always email you some of my more interesting pics.)

Whatever you decide, I'll email my postal address so you can send me one!!
    :p

Cheers
    SOS

18. Jacque

Jacque Team InvestEd

Keep the ideas coming, folks! I'm enjoying them :)

By the way, the items aren't for clients but for brokers, accountants, conveyancers etc- those who might be reminded to use a BA service every morning they roll up to their desks :D

Corkscrew idea is cool- but I don't know too many in these professions who drink on the job :D :D

19. Balboa

Balboa Member

Corksrew could still possibly have some application -- As my wonderful old conveyancing solicitor (since retired0 used to advise me- "Some of these blokes in real estate are so crooked they need a corkscrew to get dressed in the morning" However this probably would not apply to your associates ,J.

20. Redwing

How about a Desk Clock/Weather Station/Temperature type thingy?