Join our investing community

I'm a bit confused

Discussion in 'Shares' started by Tizzy, 30th Oct, 2008.

1. Tizzy

Tizzy Well-Known Member

I'm way out of my depth when it comes to shares but I wondered if someone here could clear this confusion up for me.

If I own shares worth say, 50 cents each and then a big company ( where the shares are worth ten times mine) comes and takes over the company that I have shares in, what happens to the value of my shares?

Thanks for taking the time to enlighten me :eek:

2. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Co-founder Staff Member

It depends on how they choose to purchase your shares.

Some takeovers will pay cash (you'll get $X cash for every share you own).

Some will pay via shares (you'll get $Y shares in the new company for every share you hold in the current company - in your example, if you had 10,000 shares in company A, you'd probably get something like 1,000 shares of company B ... but it depends on the purchase offer)

Some will pay via a combination or some other more complicated method.

3. Tizzy

Tizzy Well-Known Member

Thanks for that information Sim. Sounds a bit complicated actually and sounds like the shareholder has very little power at all.

I'd be distressed if I paid a lot for shares and the price fell substantially and then there was a takeover. You wouldn't get very much back. But then, if the takeover was a positive move, maybe your investment would grow.

4. AsxBroker

AsxBroker Well-Known Member

Hi Tizzy,

There is usually a premium of around 30% if a takeover is announced.
    Though obviously depending on how much the shares dropped by this may not cover your initial outlay...

Cheers,

Dan

5. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Co-founder Staff Member

Takeovers are often rumoured for weeks or months in advance. This can affect the share price well before any formal offer is made.