Join our investing community

I'm pleased I found you!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Tizzy, 21st Jun, 2006.

1. Tizzy

Tizzy Well-Known Member

Hi you guys. Well quite by accident really I stumbled upon this great forum. Amazing what a bit of googling can achieve. Anyway, our investing is in property and the Perth property market has been good to us recently. I'm keen to at least explore the benefits of a varied portfolio and hopefully pick up some knowledge about stock options, shares, super and anything else you are discussing. I'm really not sure what I can offer you though, because as far as property investment is concerned, I'm just a keen amateur who now likes to avoid too much heavy renovating work. :)

2. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Co-founder Staff Member

Welcome Tizzy ... I'm sure you'll have plenty to offer in your own way - everyone has experiences that can help others to learn.

Care to elaborate on the renovating comment ? Done some stuff that didn't turn out quite the way you wanted ? Or just found it not worth the effort ?

3. Tizzy

Tizzy Well-Known Member

Hi Sim
    lol well I think I'm a bit over renovating for a while not because it doesn't work (because it usually does) but I'm just glad we have our weekends back to use for other things. At last count we have worked hard to value add on seven houses. Two were IP's but the others were our own homes and we lived in the demolition sites for some time! Anyway, a bit of gentle painting is as much as I want to do for a while. No more lifting very heavy wooden beams and scraping mortar off bricks for me and scouring salvage yeards. Its much cleaner and easier to "develop" , buy a block and build and sell.

4. Simon Hampel

Hehe ... living in the demolition sites doesn't sound like a lot of fun.

See - you've got a heap of experience there that will be valuable to lots of people ... so you are very welcome here, and I hope you will contribute and ask (and answer!) lots of questions.

5. Bob

Bob Well-Known Member

Googling

Hey Tizzy,

You've obviously been doing a bit of googling. Have you found any other investment sites you've liked??

Bob

6. Tizzy

Tizzy Well-Known Member

Sure Bob. Discovered propertyInvesting .com then after hours of reading over the past week or two I've linked to here. I have passed both sites on to interested friends and family and some of them are "lurking" as we speak. :)
    Sim I still think reno work has its place and is a great way to go with property when the market is a bit flatter than now. I just think that at the moment with Perths property market crazyiness, there are easier ways to make a dollar and I'm enjoying a bit of a break from the dirt and hard slog of reno work. :)

7. Simon Hampel

mmm ... Bob ... do you have permission to reproduce that list ?

... and note that very few of those sites are actually relevant to Australia.

8. Tizzy

Tizzy Well-Known Member

Good grief Bob! I thought I had an impressive array of Bookmarks. I would need to give up my day job to get through that lot! Will definately visit each one and see whats on offer. Might take a while though lol. Thanks for the resources. :)

9. Tizzy

Tizzy Well-Known Member

Thanks for the thought anyway Bob.
    American sites aren't really going to help me much. Not sure two men and a truck would give me a decent quote for removals in Oz when they're based in the US.lol I have saved two sites to look at later though so thanks for that. By the way, quite a number of those in the list are expired sites or the servers are down. Magic Bullets need to update their list.

10. Bob

Bob Well-Known Member

US sites

mmm ... Bob ... do you have permission to reproduce that list ?

I would like to offer you my links list to some great sites in the U.S. I hope you can use them in some way! Dan Auito

Internet Resources
    There are no affiliate links in any of these - they are friends!

Bob

11. Dolfinwise

Dolfinwise Well-Known Member

Property and Super

The most exciting recent development I've come across in the investment property/development space is the ability for Self Managed Superannuation funds to borrow (via an installment warrant). This allows developers and property investors to buy/hold/develop investment properties within a Super fund with the potential for paying 0% CGT upon sale (as well as potentially 0% income tax). There are even recent tax office rulings regarding the ability to transfer residential investment property "businesses" into a SMSF.

This was a very expensive exercise until recently but now banks are lending at close to standard rates on this. Its not for everyone and there are a large number of traps for the unwary but its worth a look for those who are in the development/property investment space.

Note this is General information only and investor should seek their own professional advice before acting based on any of the above information.

Last edited by a moderator: 10th Mar, 2015