Join our investing community

Implications of Registering for GST

Discussion in 'Accounting, Tax & Legal' started by rattler, 15th Oct, 2018.

Tags:
  1. rattler

rattler New Member

Noob Question!
    I created an ABN couple of years ago to by .com.au domains , but never ended up building those websites. I do intend to build them at later stage, but would have no revenue under that ABN for another year or so.
    1) If I haven't earn anything under ABN, do I still need to do anything at the tax time ? I currently file tax return under by TFN
    2) I am planning to sign up ABN for GST - this is mainly to take advantage of Qantas business rewards (I take 2-4 flights a week, this will save a lot of money as booking via Qantas business rewards has cheaper tickets and more points). Would this have any imopact on 1

twisted strategies likes this.
  2. Terryw

Terryw Well-Known Member

an ABN is just a number, it doesn't really change any tax implications, but you are probably not entitled to one if you are not conducting a business. The ATO may cancel it after a while.

If registered for GST you would need to charge GST on supplies - if you are not earning anything this won't matter as you are not supplying anything. But you would be required to lodge bas statements.

twisted strategies likes this.
  3. rattler

rattler New Member

Thanks Terry. That's exactly what I was looking for.

Terryw and twisted strategies like this.