Improved Residex reports

Discussion in 'Real Estate' started by Jacque, 13th Mar, 2006.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Jacque

Jacque Jacque Parker Premium Member

Now that Residex are now producing their cg rates, median prices and rental yields on suburbs rather than postcodes, the information, in my opinion, is much more accurate. If you also subscribe to their quarterly report annually you get the bonus supplement which includes cg rates for the last 5 yrs individually. Very useful for tracing historical growth :)
    Note that I have no vested interest here in recommending Residex. I just use their information as one of my tools when assessing areas for investment purposes.

2. TechMan

TechMan Well-Known Member

Hello Jacque,

I am very new to property investing and am currently looking for my first PPOR in Sydney.

I am currently looking up properties on the web and in local suburb papers. I am yet undecided which suburb i will buy in as im looking at a few areas. But apart from being happy with the property i am trying to pick a good suburb so that i will get good CG's and possibly good rental yields if i move out of it down the track and want to rent it out.

So i am using the following information sources

- looking up suburb data in the domain free suburb snapshot which you pointed out a short while back in a post (this for a general suburb overview).
    - I am also looking at the supplement which came with the SMH recently. It gives me a CG trend percentage on a suburb by suburb basis for the last 15 years worth of data if available and also median pricing.
    - I also am an API magazine subscriber so get stats on the weekly average rents and yields for all suburbs and some more median pricing etc.

If you or others on this forum dont mind listing what kinds of information sources you use to perform your own due diligence? Is it just the residex report?

3. Jacque

Jacque Jacque Parker Premium Member

Hi Leandro

I use RPData to look up past sales, advertising histories (which agent, how long, how much, any reductions/changes etc) map comparable nearby sales on the aerial pictures and property dimensions, feature details etc. It also maps all amenities, which saves time :)
    Expensive database to access, but I use it extensively as part of my job so need it as a minimum. It is a fantastic resource, and having access to the same information as REA's is important as a BA. Public reports are also available, which don't provide you with the same info, but are useful for seeing comparable sales. They're reasonably priced.

Residex is also useful for tracking cg rates, rental yields etc and gives a good overview. Annual subscription to their quarterly report is around the $300 mark so good value here. Again, more specific sales reports and suburb predictions can be purchased separately. Like homepriceguide.com.au you can purchase comp sales info. All the information comes from the same source but is just packaged differently by all the major information distribution companies.

The web, as you've mentioned already, is a great place to start when searching. As are local papers, window displays, SMH Domain and Homes Pictorial etc. Don't forget to check out the private sales sites as well and do a driveby of your preferred areas for signs. Even doorknocking specific streets has yielded good results for some :)

For more specifics on what I think constitutes effective DD, have a read of my article on this site if you haven't already done so.
    Feel free to PM me if you're looking in my areas and want some info. Happy to help out :)

4. TechMan

TechMan Well-Known Member

Hey Jacque,

Thanks for the info. RPData does sound very interesting.

Alright, i will have to look into some of the items which you have listed. Still deciding on which suburb i will be targeting (have a handful in mind) but if i need help around your area i will take up your offer.