Incorporation of trustee company

Discussion in 'Accounting & Tax' started by Tina B, 3rd Oct, 2008.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Tina B

Tina B New Member

Hello all,

1. I was in the process of incorporating online a corporate trustee for my discretionary family trust. I was advised that I need to specifically incorporate the company as a "Trustee" company.

Is there any difference between a trustee company and a regular company vis-a-vis online incorporation process? Even on Form 201 I have not noticed any specific place where I need to mention that the company to be incorporated is a "trustee" company. There is only mention of self managed super funds.

2. I am aware that a "Trustee" company of a self managed super fund is a special pupose company. Are corporate trustees of discretionary family trusts special purpose companies?

Thank you in advance for your help..

2. swiltshire

swiltshire New Member

Although a special purpose trustee company (aka corporate trustee, or trustee company) sounds like it could be used for a family, unit or other type of trust, it actually can only be used as an SMSF corporate trustee.

Therefore unfortunately you have to purchase a regular company for your family trust.

3. NickM

NickM Well-Known Member

Yes Tina Swiltshire is correct.
    A Sole purpose Trustee company for an SMSF receives the benefit of a lower ASIC fee.