Indexing literature

Discussion in 'Share Investing Strategies, Theories & Education' started by Johny_come_lately, 30th Aug, 2009.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Johny_come_lately

Johny_come_lately Well-Known Member

I am after Australian authered books on index funds and asset allocation. I have read American books by Ferri, Bogle,Bernstein.... and while they are helpful I would like an Aussie balance. Do such books exist?

Thanks, Johny.

2. AsxBroker

AsxBroker Well-Known Member

Hi Johny,

Not sure if there are any.
    Have you read "A Random Walk Down Wall Street" by Burton Malkiel?
    Very good, it debunks technical and accounting analysis.

Cheers,

Dan

3. Johny_come_lately

Johny_come_lately Well-Known Member

Thanks AsxBroker,

Yes, the Index/antiIndex debate could go on forever. For me, it isn't whether I can beat the market or not, its about time freed up. I enjoy many things apart from investing, and indexing is not time consuming.

works for me,
    Johny.

4. AsxBroker

AsxBroker Well-Known Member

Definitely agreed Johny...

5. Nigel Ward

Nigel Ward Well-Known Member

As you may have already explored, Vanguard's Australian site has a fair bit of good material.

Indexing | Investor Knowledge Centre | Vanguard Investments Australia

I think Jeremy Duffield and Robin Bowerman have written or contributed to a book called Wealth of Experience which given their respective backgrounds may have something to say about indexing (albeit from their respective interviewees).

For general reference I stumbled across this site with some short summaries of seminal investing texts which might be more generally useful.

Professional Wealth

Cheers
    N

6. Tim__

Tim__ Well-Known Member

There would not appear to be any advantage of the Vanguard Australian Share Index fund over simply purchasing STW. The MER at 0.75% does not apply to STW, the spread on STW in virtually neglgible, and franking is 75& imputed.

Would there be any reason to go Vanguard over STW?

Tim

7. venger0

venger0 Active Member

@Tim, you can check out the pros and cons for unlisted index fund vs ETFs at the above Vanguard Australia website link.
    Since Vanguard provides both unlisted and ETF versions of their fund now, they do provide valid and balanced views on each.

BTW, I've used both in the past - they both worked well. Must admit that I started with the unlisted prior to Vanguard listing their ETFs (earlier this year). If I started again, I'd probably be using ETFs only.

8. Tim__

Tim__ Well-Known Member

Thanks Venger I have checked this out and STW is actually cheaper than both the ETF VAS and defintely cheaper than their index fund.

I think I will be sticking to STW in lump sums.

Tim

Tim

Last edited by a moderator: 11th Sep, 2009

Property Investors! Ready to Pay Less Tax? Estimate how much Property Depreciation you can claim on your Investment Property. Washington Brown's calculator is the first calculator to draw on real properties to determine an accurate estimate.