Indoor spa

Discussion in 'Real Estate' started by Jacque, 21st Jun, 2007.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Jacque

Jacque Jacque Parker Premium Member

I came across a house recently that had an indoor spa as one of it's features. Most of these tend to be the portable boxy type ones (with lids) however this one was in-built, much like an inground pool, into the floor of the rumpus room. It had a half wall surrounding it constructed from glass bricks. Very tastefully done, if you like hot tubs :D

The question of safety sprang to mind, though, when I noticed another party inspecting the place, with young children in tow. There was no doorway to the room (open plan) that housed the spa, and because of it's size and obvious function, the spa was full of water. Quite a safety issue to overcome, especially if you had visitors over with young children.

I actually found it a detriment to the property, as I'm not a fan of spas anyway - especially given the increased electricity bills and indoor chlorinated aroma! But I did see it as a shame to fill it in and re-do the flooring around it (expensive job)- what other alternatives would you suggest?

2. Glebe

Glebe Well-Known Member

fill it full of beers and ice cubes :D

3. DaveA__

DaveA__ Well-Known Member

put a fountain on it and fill it full of liquid chocolate....

but practically, could u get a cover for it with latchs?

4. Tropo

Tropo Well-Known Member

"Quite a safety issue to overcome, especially if you had visitors over with young children"

Easy solution.....Invite visitors without children :D :p :D

5. MattR

MattR Well-Known Member

It's an old brothel isn't it!!!!

Is the spa an in ground moulded (fibreglass)shell or is it a built in jobbie with tiles etc. on a conrecte base?

If its the former, then probably wouldn't be to hard to rip out or too costly. If its the latter.......empty it out and fill it full of jelly beans.

6. Jacque

Trust you guys to come up with such impractical (but funny :D ) alternatives!!

It's actually a built-in job, fully tiled too.... but I have thought of the solution in the meantime. Connect a glass wall with gate same as pool fence height to the existing brick wall and problem solved :)

However, the beer and ice idea is not bad- especially when inviting just my immediate family over constitutes a party for 27!

7. shake-the-disease

shake-the-disease Well-Known Member

Convert it to a wine cellar.

8. Jacque

Now you're talking :)
    Though I can imagine fitting it out and gaining easy access might present a problem :D ;)

9. shake-the-disease

shake-the-disease Well-Known Member

Lift up trap door, custom racks, even display glass..... lots of possibilities.