Join our investing community

Inflation?

Discussion in 'The Economy' started by Chomp, 10th Oct, 2008.

1. Chomp

Chomp Well-Known Member

I am confused! I have just been reading through the posts and have found some contradicting information regarding the cause of inflation (lowering interest rates).

The reason why I am posting this thread is because I want to know if;

1. The rates will drop allowing people to buy property which will force up prices.

2. Inflation will increase which will mean a rise in rates to kerb it.

3. Potentially causing a fall in property prices which is when I would like to buy:)

I know no one has a crystal ball and anything is possible but.... does anyone else think this may happen?

2. Billv

Billv Getting there

chomp

1 = yes because of the slowing down of economies worldwide
    2= short term will be up but is expected to come down so Interest rates will be down as well
    3= with interest rates coming down I don't see it hapenning.

Are you thinking to buy in Perth?

Cheers

3. Chomp

Chomp Well-Known Member

Hi BV,

Thanks for your response, I am looking at NSW sea change areas like Nelson Bay, Port Maquarie, The Entrance. Places dont seem to be selling there yet so I think prices may drop a little.

The yields there are also bit low at the moment, I think that timing getting in will help alot so Im holding off.

I am also going to the Navra Fund launch as well in Perth so that my sway me to go into shares depending on what Steve has to say, I think maybe the Australian market may bounce back strongly next year which would give me more money to invest in property once the yeilds improve.

But I am still learning and thanks to sites like this and SS I kept my money safe by not investing over the past year which I could easliy have lost nearly half of it! Patience has been hard though!

What about yourself BV do you think the stock market may rebound?

4. Billv

Billv Getting there

I believe it will. (it has done every other time...:D )
    IMO there is money to be made we just need to pickup the right stocks and to be patient.

I am still going to pickup a Property or 2 but I aim for properties with good yields. I don't mind waiting fpor capital gains, but I don't like the idea of contributing much towards my IP's.

cheers

5. crocodile

crocodile New Member

Hi Chomp, unfortunately not quite so simple. Inflation is nothing more than a decrease in the value of money. Usually caused by oversupply. Interest rates are only a target and in this country at least used by the RBA to control the supply of money. For a brief description of how the RBA conducts it operations try visiting <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_market_operations>
    Most things in this world are governed by supply and demand including money itself.

Have a great day.