Join our investing community

Information overload!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Jacque, 16th Jun, 2006.

1. Jacque

Jacque Team InvestEd

Is it just me or is anybody else feeling overloaded by the amount of reading material that requires our attention these days?

From the humble school newsletters through to emails from everyone (it seems) on the planet it does become a tad overwhelming at times, and I have to force myself to sort the wheat from the chaff in an incredibly short time. There's so much that I've simply looked at and put to "one side" for later perusal, which either gets forgotten altogether or passed over.

Reading the weekend papers has turned into a task that takes until Wed some weeks, whilst the simple pleasures of reading a good book takes a back seat to all the other "urgent" words that require more immediate attention.

What I really want to know, is it just me alone feeling like this or are there others out there who empathize? :D

2. Tropo

Tropo Well-Known Member

No. You are not alone. Welcome to 21 century...
    ;)

PS - Cosider below info......
    THE WALL STREET JOURNAL
    Bangkok -- EVEN AFTER the recent pullback in metals prices, some market watchers see a further risk, and they can sum it up in one word: plastics. When prices for copper, nickel and other raw materials stay high as they have been until recently, big commodity users often look for alternatives. These can include an array of substitutes -- notably plastics, but also a variety of other materials -- that might not be as good as the preferred metal but cost a lot less...........Home builders can save money by substituting plastic pipes for copper plumbing. Makers of air-conditioning units can replace copper coils with components made from less-expensive materials, such as aluminum.
    Such substitution strategies aren't expected to add serious new downward pressure to commodity prices soon. Despite the big drops in metals prices -- copper, for instance, has fallen about 15% over the past month amid fears of higher interest rates and slower global growth -- most analysts expect commodity costs to remain above their historical averages for some time.

3. Nigel Ward

Nigel Ward Team InvestEd

I feel it seriously. I spend all day (and I mean a really l o n g day) :( reading documents and then go home and do the paperwork and reading for the investing side...it just never stops.

4. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Co-founder Staff Member

I spend my life attempting to become an expert in products that are obsolete within 6 months (for newer products, 18 months for slightly more mature products). I also work for a very acquisitive (!?) company who buys new companies/products on a monthly basis (at least!) - which compounds the problem.

Welcome to my world :rolleyes:

There is a reason that the direction of a lot of information technology development is towards just-in-time information management ... finding the information (or the experts) when you need it - because you usually don't have time to deal with it before then.

5. Rick

Rick Well-Known Member

I think the answer is in the question "requires our attention".

There's certainly more information available but still only the same amount of hours in a day to get through it.

Therefore the bits requiring our attention as a proportion of whats available has to decrease.

I get through less because a lot of my time is spent bumbling around trying to work out which bits are the most important. :confused:

6. MichaelWhyte

MichaelWhyte Well-Known Member

Jacque,

You forgot to add reading and responding to posts on a half dozen different forums! ;) I spend most of my day reading and typing. By the end of the day my eyes are sore and my neck stiff. I use my spare time to peruse the AFR and some online news sources so I can stay abreast of the macro market. But that's all just more information overload. Of course my day job is rude enough to interject some demands on my time too, but this is mostly in the form of urgent emails requiring action. That action is normally excel based or trolling the data warehouse for answers and replies by email with excel attachements. The short of it all is more reading. All I do all day is read and write. I stand up long enough to go and get another coffee, and escape three times a week for an hour at lunchtime to go the gym. The rest of my working day is chained to a terminal.

Whatever happened to phsyical human interaction... Sigh...

Cheers,
    Michael.

7. Jacque

Jacque Team InvestEd

Hehe Michael :)
    I think it went out the window along with letter writing :D
    I know how you feel about the sore neck, though. Because I've spent the last 3 days at home and read a lot on the laptop, I could use a great massage!

8. perky

perky Well-Known Member

Thats what hubbies are for Jacque :D

Yes, too much to read and so little time. And those pesky kids get in the way of it all as well ....:rolleyes: