Inheritance from OS

Discussion in 'Wills & Estate Planning' started by conror01, 18th Jun, 2010.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. conror01

conror01 New Member

Hi
    I am expecting an inheritance form OS if it is paid into an overseas bank account and i then transfer to australia do I need to pay any tax? Thanks for your hlep

2. Rob G

Rob G Well-Known Member

Assuming you are an Australian resident for tax purposes ...

Generally no Australian income tax on inheriting the original amount bequeathed in the will if you did not pay anything for for the right.

i.e. it is truly a bequest under a will and not merely the executor paying amounts that are owed to you by the deceased.

However, if the estate has distributed any trust income such as interest earned during administration, or the overseas bank account has credited you interest then this is income here.

Whether there are any gift duties or inheritance taxes in the country of the deceased is up to you to find out !

Cheers,

Rob

3. Superman__

Superman__ Well-Known Member

Rob has pretty much answered your question, but one little point to add:

If the amount you transfer from overseas is greater than a certain amount ($10k I believe) it will get picked up by AUSTRAC. This means you may get a letter from the ATO in the future asking you if you having any overseas income or capital gains to declare / report.

If it is simply a transfer of capital, then you have nothing to worry about. If you need further advice go a see an accountant.

SM