Inner suburb unit or a house with land in Western Sydney?

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by jeffsyd, 23rd Feb, 2010.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. jeffsyd

jeffsyd New Member

Hi guys :)

I am a newbie looking to buy my 1st investment property in Sydney. I have had some equity in my residential unit so I can use that as a deposit for the IP.

I have read some research and they said houses with land has traditionally had higher growth than units. But in the past few year, units has overtaken houses in terms of capital growth.

So it made me confused on which options would be the sound investment in a long term. I have budget to spend around $300K to $350K. That means to get a house with land would be around Penrith area. If to buy a unit, it would be near inner west somewhere or near Auburn, Homebush Bay, stratfield (2 BR unit) etc.

Sorry if this may be a silly question. It's hard to keep up with all the trends.

Any thought would be appreciated.:)

Cheers

2. Jacque

Jacque Jacque Parker Premium Member

Hi Jeff

If you want to buy a unit in the inner west for $350K you'd only be looking at studios and 1 bedders, I believe. Re: houses in the west. Many other suburbs available to you eg: around Blacktown region. But prices are rising- make no mistake. I work as a BA in these areas and am witnessing it firsthand. An alternative would be a duplex/townhouse in some "better regarded" western suburbs. Best of luck!