interest only loans

Discussion in 'Money Management & Banking' started by drunkenguru, 27th Jul, 2007.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. drunkenguru

drunkenguru Member

hi, this may be an easy one but i haven't been able to find a straight answer.

i'm looking to change my P&I loan on my PPOR to IO loan with offset account. but i understand that IO loans are generally IO for a short term then revert back to P&I. is this correct? can you get a loan that doesn't revert back to P&I?

thanks in advance

2. gad

gad Well-Known Member

Generally, when your IO period is up, your lender will offer to extend the loan for another IO period. If for some reason they don't, you can apply or threaten to refinance with someone else.
    I doubt you'll have a problem as long as you can service the loan.

3. drunkenguru

drunkenguru Member

thx gad, are there normally any fees involved in extending the IO period?

4. gad

gad Well-Known Member

Not that I'm aware of.

5. spider

spider Well-Known Member

IO

I have a IO with St George that is for 15 years...I got caught in Canberra in the early 90's when the market went down like my dog's dinner. The unit was worth less than what I paid for it 5 years earlier..woooooo...

6. Jacque

Jacque Jacque Parker Premium Member

I just tried to extend or renegotiate my IO term fixed rate (3yrs expired) and was told it would cost me a $600 fee to "re-draw" the mortgage docs :mad:

Obviously every lender is negotiable, however, so make it known that you're not happy and you may well be surprised at what you get when you ask nicely :D

7. Nigel Ward

Nigel Ward Well-Known Member

What's it worth now? :D

8. spider

spider Well-Known Member

Woden

Nigel,

It and the rent have tripled. I was max geared up at the time and after owning it for 5 years on an IO loan "the bank" revalued the property and would not extend the loan unless I placed the shortfall of the valuation into the loan. I did not want to sell down any shares and I had other properties in Canberra (all at Woden) which did not have much equity in them - there is a good lesson there about diversification. Anyway, I just got a personal loan for the shortfall with the loan fees being deductible as it was for investment purposes. Revalued a few years later and here I am...now in steak and kidney (Good old Sydney).

Liverpool St