Join our investing community

Internode Naked DSL and NodePhone VoIP

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Mark Laszczuk, 5th May, 2008.

1. Mark Laszczuk

Mark Laszczuk Well-Known Member

Since your the Internode super geek on here, figured I'd ask you, since others on the forum might be interested as well. Looking at the plans available and saw ADSL2+ Naked (which is available in my area). The same plan (regular ADSL) I'm on is only 5 bucks a month cheaper - but with no phone line rental required, I'll actually save 25 bucks roughly a month. I don't really make many phone calls at all. But it'd be nice to be able to knick Telstra off for good.

Spoke to them about my connection issue as well and they said I pretty much need a new modem as the one I have was probably faulty (oh well) and it was out of warranty (grrrr). So I was thinking of getting a Billion 7401VGP-M VoIP router. Will this work with my current phone or will I need to get an adapter?

So with the phone plans, what is Public Switched Telephone Network? With NodePhone 1, it doesn't seem to support message bank, is that right? I hope not, 10 bucks a month just for message bank seems pretty steep, but I do need it.

So basically, I'm looking to transfer my service from what I have now (just ADSL) to ADSL2 Naked with VOIP using the Billion modem dealy. Does that seem like a good idea to you? I'm not a heavy phone user (I might call my brother and my mum once a week and that's about all). Figure I might as well upgrade, since I have to buy a new modem anyway.

Mark

Edit: I saw that Naked ADSL2 users can get a Node Phone service with message bank for $10 a month which includes $10 bucks worth of calls, so that's cool!

2. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Co-founder Staff Member

7401VGP-M has one analog voice port which allows you to plug an existing phone into it and use VoIP ... so yes, should work with current phont and no adapter required.

I have the next model up - the 7404VGP which has 2 voice ports ... I use one for my "business" desk phone and the other for our home phone (I have 2 NodePhone accounts). They are good modems - I recommend the Billions.

PSTN is the normal phone network that you use now. You would be replacing PSTN with VoIP and with a "naked" plan, you no longer have access to your old PSTN service - which is why you save the extra line rental fees.

This means that there is no "fallback" option for VoIP - if your internet connection goes down or your router dies, you won't be able to make phone calls - not even 000 calls (but having your phone line cut like I had back before Christmas has exactly the same result!). A mobile phone provides a nice level of redundancy, so it's not much of an issue really (I'm getting my in-laws to buy a pre-paid mobile phone as a backup voice service so that I can move them over to Naked DSL/VoIP - will still be cheaper overall).

NodePhone 1 does not have message bank support - because it does not allow inbound phone calls !! It is an outgoing-only product. To get inbound calls and message bank - you need NodePhone 2, which normally costs $10pm (but as you pointed out, Naked customers get $10pm of free calls, which is good - although with 18c calls to landlines Australia wide, you won't be spending that much on phone calls!).

Remember that to conver your existing phone line to Naked - you will be disconnected for a period of time (unless you have a spare phone line you can have connected instead - then disconnect your current line).

Also remember that you will be assigned a new phone number - number portability isn't available yet.

It's worth reading the FAQs - there are a few gotchas with Naked DSL, depending on whether you currently have ADSL, and how that is connected. Internode :: Residential :: Internet :: Naked :: FAQ

3. Simon Hampel

PS. I'm not using Naked yet - I'm currently on an Extreme ADSL2+ plan using an Agile DSLAM port, and they haven't released a corresponding naked product for this scenario yet. I'll also be waiting for number portability.

4. Nigel Ward

Nigel Ward Team InvestEd

More info than I needed! :D

5. AsxBroker

AsxBroker Well-Known Member

Lol,

Sim I think you've worried Nigel there.

Mark, personally I am hanging out for my TPG contract to mature and I'm going to flick across to iiNet as they also have voip anywhere in Australia for free, no flagfall of $0.18 per call (standard landline calls, they charge like everyone for any "13" "15" "19" etc calls). One of my colleagues is already on it and he loves it.

It looks like iinet run slightly different to internode. Rather than paying an "extra" service/"monthly rental" (http://www.internode.on.net/pdf/products/nodephone-pricelist.pdf)

iinet basically charge a flat extra $20 per month which pays straightaway for Telstras "budget" monthly rental and then all the standard calls are free (fair use policy applies which is 3 times the average iinet user ii - customer relationship agreement, if your not making many calls a day you probably won't go over their cap). If you go over the residential fair use they'll only kick you off after giving you 3 warnings, before then you'd switch to the business which is a bit more expensive to make a substantial amount more of phone calls. Obviously you'd want to match a plan to your estimated internet usage (iiNet - ADSL - Broadband - ADSL2 - Naked DSL Plans).

If you've already got a phone with an answering machine attached you can usually access these from outside of the home/office by punching in a certain sequence of numbers to bring up any messages (check your phone manual obviously).

Engin also have voip though you have to buy their little box and they have some very cool voicemail products, you can even have it sent to your email! While the service providers make money selling the hardware, it may be possible to use your current modem if it has voip capabilities with "theoretically anyone" as they use standardised voip protocols, you just have to convince them "that you had a friend who gave you their old box and you want to double check the settings" or something so it works properly. They also have an all you can eat menu for $15 per month (Engin - Your VoIP Phone Provider – Engin Broadband Phone Plans).

Cheers,

Dan

PS I don't endorse any of the abovementioned service providers. Use at your own risk.

6. TryHard

TryHard Well-Known Member

Hi guys

I love a good VoIPing, Naked or otherwise. :p

I used to rave about WestNet as an ISP versus InterNode (both of which I found, in general, excellent) but now iiNet has purchased WestNet I am definitely churning everything of ours back to Internode. I have heard very little complimentary about iiNet service, worse feedback about their Naked roll-out, and despite claims the takeover will bring iiNet's service up to WestNet standards, I reckon it's a hiding to nothing the opposite will apply. Not to contradict you Dan, because for all I know iiNET are now a lot better, but I'm still not too keen given the level of problems I have seen reported. Not sure if their reviews on Whirlpool - Australian Broadband News have improved these days either - might be better news.

VoIP-wise we have stuck with Engin for business and home, and their pricing is VERY competitive in both cases. For normal home or small business usage the $20 monthly plans the fee includes unlimited local and national calls, no flagfall or other fees. Our mates are from overseas and have the plan that includes unlimited calls to some international destinations in the $20 monthly plan too (UK and Ireland). Telstra phone plans are a dead duck :)

We are stuck with slightly 'boosted' ADSL as we aren't in an ADSL2 area. So Naked is out of the question (at least until I get back to boot camp :p)

Anyway I think a lot of it is like a Ford vs. Holden debate, but for home or SOHO, anyone wanting something simple that works I can definitely recommend (disclaimer : do your own DD) ... the Engin Voicebox 3 ($179 for the hardware, on a 12 month plan, or $299-ish otherwise), which provides a wireless router and voice ports as a plug and play solution, the Engin $20 monthly plan, using an ADSL ISP you are comfortable with (ideally at 1.5mb/256kb min).

(Both Node and WestNet have been good for me with this setup - leaning toward Node for network performance and quality, if I had to make a choice these days).

For business, we still do a "Bring Your Own Device" with Engin and run a IP-PBX with a few handsets. That is nowhere near as 'plug and play' as the straight Engin solution and about once a year becomes a royal pain in the a$&*, but at the end of the day the annual cost leaves any Telstra solution for dead, even allowing for the odd day of hardware-smashing annoyance :) We are in the process of upgrading to some new Grandstream gear when it finally arrives in the country, which (hopefully) provides a commercial grade version of an Asterisk PBX solution for about $700 AUD. But I digress.

Cheers - happy VoIPing regardless of who you plug into :) ...

7. Mark Laszczuk

Mark Laszczuk Well-Known Member

Well I went for the whole deal - Naked ADSL2+ and VoIP with Internode. I've been using Internode for nearly three years now and have not a skerrick of bad things to say about them. I love Internode and recommend them to anyone who will listen. Got the VoIP set up (just waiting on the modem) which is 10 bucks a month and includes $10 of calls (which I will never even come close to using) because I got the Naked plan.

Looking forward to that as it's only 5 bucks a month more than the current plan I'm on for the same amount of download, but will hopefully be much faster and with Node Phone, it's actually cheaper, so I figure based on standard phone usage, the whole thing should pay for itself after about 10 months, sweet!

Mark

8. Simon Hampel

That's great Mark - will be interested to know how you find the Naked product. I'm eagerly waiting for the Extreme Naked product to come out and number portability.

9. Billv

Billv Getting there

I found that mynetfone offered the best VOIP plan
    with zero monthly access, DID included, and 10c untimed calls Australia wide.
    The free DID is for whirlpool members but it's free to join.
    https://www.mynetfone.com.au/offers/whirlpool

For internet I am still on exetel's ADSL2+ because of their generous d/l limits and won't be going naked yet because I want to have the ability to make emergency calls from the landline.

Cheers

10. johk

johk Member

Mark,
    We are thinking of swapping our Standard ADSL (with Internode) to Naked ADSL 2+ as we are not within the Naked ADSL Extreme catchment.
    My concerns are more how the quality of the VOIP is. I guess this might also depend on what exchange you are connected to.
    How do you find the quality of the VOIP?

Thanks

J

11. Simon Hampel

Johk - if you are using any of Internode's plans, you will be using their VoIP optimised network no matter how you connect (ie doesn't need be an Extreme plan).

NodePhone quality is supurb - you will struggle to find anything better available in Australia for home use ... when I first started using it I even got comments about how much clearer I sounded!

I've been 100% VoIP using NodePhone now for several years for both personal and business calls (I have 2 NodePhone accounts), and I'm also 100% Naked - I disconnected my old Telstra line last week.