Join our investing community

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by petey, 12th Jan, 2014.

1. petey

petey New Member

12th Jan, 2014
    Mt G, SA
    Hi everyone,

I thought I would post an introduction to get established on this site.

My wife and I are 29.

We owned some vacant land for about 5 years but sold it last year as we decided it wasn't for us. Since we have sold we have been trying to decide if we want to buy again, with certainly the short to medium term decision being "it's not for us". We enjoy our travel and have spent quite a few stints living in other countries - when we live in Australia we are fortunate enough to be able to rent with family.

So our current situation is:
    Cash: $250k
    Vanguard Investor Cash Plus Fund: $10k
    Vanguard High Yield Australian Shares Fund: $10k
    Vanguard Index International Shares Fund: $40k
    Combined Super: $70k
    Non income generating assets: $60k

A new years resolution for me is to really sort out our finances. I want to move to a SMSF - both of us are in pretty average funds at the moment. I would like a little more control and especially in regards to my wife's fund - I think I could well be ahead on fees!

We are clearly very cash heavy. That is as a result of selling our property. I have been dropping it into Vanguard slowly - struggling with dumping the lot in at once on the off chance there was a crash of some sort. I want to change this over the next 12 months.

I am beginning to think that I should have used ETFs to get into index funds as the management fees are much lower. At the time, the Vanguard funds seemed like the easiest and safest way to get into the market.

I still have a lot to learn, I have been reading blogs like jlcollinsnh | Money – Life – Business, Mr. Money Mustache, and so on. They fit with us as we have fairly average wages but live quite a frugal lifestyle (bar the travelling, but that is always on the cheap). I recently discovered Bogleheads Investing Advice and Info and I am very keen to start something along the lines of a 3 or 4 fund portfolio.

My ultimate goal is to retire sooner rather than later. Retiring 100% may be a pipe dream at a young age but I would like to have a passive income stream that funds our basic needs (housing, bills, food). With the free time I would love to set up a business.

Anyway that will do otherwise this will turn into a novel. :D