Cash & Bonds Investing for kids

Discussion in 'Other Asset Classes' started by mkbonline, 11th Aug, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. mkbonline

mkbonline Well-Known Member

I am planning to start investing for my 7 year old daughter - for education etc...

Came across this article.

https://www.firstlinks.com.au/put-money-away-month-kids/

Both myself and spouse are at 45% tax bracket. Considering our income level and kid's age - is Investment bond best option? If yes - which Investment bond would you recommend? Barefoot investor mentions few of them - Lifeplan's NextGen , Generation Life's Imputation bond and AMP's Growth Bonds.

Appreciate your thoughts. Cheers, M

2 people like this.
  2. twisted strategies

twisted strategies Well-Known Member

bond options at current rates ???

BEST OF LUCK ON THAT

but seriously , consideing the child's age , if you are brave ( bonds can implode as well ) look at a 10 to 15 year maturity date ( to give her a financial base as an early adult )

a TOUGH decision is fixed interest v. variable ( each has it's pros and cons )

my last remaining hybrid is a varible rate bank hybrid that is 'perpetual ' , meaning no fixed naturity date and i could very well have exited that by the end of the week ( the sale order is in the market at a set price ) ( i will crystallize , if sold , a 50% capital gain , i bought them in 2011 , and really the extra regularity risk possible of 'bail-in ' makes profit-taking more compelling , to me )

the question is where will interest rates go , and what will real inflation be like in 5 , 10 , 15 and 20 years ( and all my guesses at it have been wrong so far ).

far from safe is corporate debt ( but you really have to do your homework there , to understand completely what you are buying )

banks are facing 'bail-in laws , so probably avoid them ,
    my 2012 industrial bets are gone ( got taken over and profits crystalized ) and so have my healthcare bets .. HOWEVER RHC is still going and issues corporate debt ( just never at a price i found attractive ,)

RHCPA RAMSAY HEALTH CARE LIMITED TRANS PREF 6-BBSW+ 4.85% PERP SUB RED T-10-10 ( you are paying roughly $107 for a hybrid with a face value of $100 )

AGLHA AGL ENERGY LIMITED. HYBRID 3-BBSW+3.80% 08-06-39 SUB STEP T-06- ( although i have personal issues with AGL others have a different opinion ) ( matures in the middle of 2039 )

the one i really would have liked was corporate debt in FMG ( which was offered overseas , sadly ..)

https://www.asx.com.au/courses/inte..._Introduction_to_interest_rate_securities.pdf

try the above link for a start ( and please THINK about what you read as well )

the key factor in bonds is RISK vs REWARDS
    and the sagas in Greece and Cyprus re-wrote the rules on sovereign ( Treasury) debt so now i won't consider any sovereign debt yielding less than 6% per year .

that may seem harsh but the world is awash with debt may never be anle to be paid back ( national AND corporate )

but PLEASE ,PLEASE learn about this stuff completely before you part with cash .
    . Chicago is broke ( and probably Detriot ) Peuro Rico is broke ( a US protectorate ) half the EU is technically broke . goodness knows what the Australian balance sheet looks like ( ACTUALLY ) they can't even get the Census right

and all that is at historically low interest rates

3. mkbonline

mkbonline Well-Known Member

2 people like this.
  4. twisted strategies

twisted strategies Well-Known Member

if you have indentified an attractive product , have you talked to Vanguard directly , you might need to set up a trust ...

Low-cost managed funds | ETFs

i bought my Vanguard products on the ASX ( VAS and VHY )

but have heard Vanguard can be helpful to regular buyers ( i choose to time my infrequent buys so the ASX suits me nicely