Join our investing community

Investing in Retirement

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Tropo, 24th Oct, 2005.

1. Tropo

Tropo Well-Known Member

INVESTING FOR YOUR RETIREMENT:

If you had purchased $1000.00 of Nortel stock some time ago, it would now be worth:

$49.00.

With Enron, you would have had:

$16.50

left of the original $1,000.00.

With WorldCom, you would have had less than:

$5.00 left.

But, if you had purchased $1,000.00 worth of Beer one year ago, drank all the beer, then turned in the cans for the aluminum recycling REFUND, you would have had $214.00.

Based on the above, current investment advice is to drink heavily and recycle. :D
    :cool:

2. Alan

Alan Well-Known Member

Gosh.......think how much you could have made if you'd bought $2000 worth of beer!!

:D

3. Tropo

Tropo Well-Known Member

What about $ 10 K or more .... :D

4. MichaelWhyte

MichaelWhyte Well-Known Member

Tropo,

That suggests that 21.4% of the sales price of a can of beer is the unimproved cost of the aluminium component! Now, add some processing costs with "Containers Packaging" or other and the can alone cost would be half the selling price.

As a guy in manufacturing I find that hard to believe. Most manufacturers run at around 50% margin without allowing for overhead allocations. Once Overheads come in they're often under 10% contribution to EBIT.

Didn't mean to go all technical on a nice off-beat thread, just found 21.4% a bit hard to swallow. No pun intended... ;) :D

Cheers,
    Michael.

5. Tropo

Tropo Well-Known Member

Michael,

" Didn't mean to go all technical on a nice off-beat thread, just found 21.4% a bit hard to swallow"

If 21.4 % is hard to swallow, I'll give a discount. :)
    What about .... 15 % ?. :D :D

6. kennethkohsg

kennethkohsg Well-Known Member

Hiya Tropo,

1. At least we still have the beers to drink satisfaction and can recycle the used alumnium cans to get back some monies to use in return when we choose this option (thought I am saying that I will do it nor encourage it myself here) and be our own money-masters and hopefully also learnt something about ourselves and self-responsibility.

2. As far as the issue of money control/management is concerned, I think that this option is definitely better than for we to willingly surrender our own monies to the so-called market experts and naively expecting them to grow the monies on our behalf, only to find oursevles disappointed subsequently and realising how unwisely we have been in our own moneyn management;- that our monies has helped to make some people rich indirectly at our own expense AND that we prefer/choose to trust others than to trust ourselves.

3. Having said this, I am NOT saying here that you should not henceforth invest in the NarvaInvest funds or otherwise, please.

4. However, please also note that from the personal health perspective, the deer drinking option can also have some adverse effects which can ultimately make us even much poorer, financially speaking.

5. So what would I do with the monies concerned? I will try to save more and later invest in a rental property myself so as to help generate some passive income and wealth for myself.

6. To each, our own beliefs and opinions, please.

7. For your kind update, please.

8. Thank you.

regards,
    Kenneth KOH

Last edited by a moderator: 30th Oct, 2005