Join our investing community

Investment Planning 1 Exam

Discussion in 'Financial Planning' started by kwakker, 5th Dec, 2011.

1. kwakker

kwakker Active Member

Hey,

I just submitted my Investment Planning Assignment yesterday and was wondering if there are any people here who have recently completed the exam with Kaplan?

Im hoping my assignment will pass first go and was just wondering the type of questions that were asked by Kaplan during the exam, ie whether we will need to make calculations such as in question 3 in finding the P/E ratio, fair share price etc?

Also want to know how it compares to the other exams that I've previously done (Foundations Financial Planning and Risk Management).

Any insight would be appreciated.

kwakker

2. krazykakes

krazykakes Member

in regards to investment planning 1 exam, i advise you to study very hard as the resit is feral.

i had to do a resit on 2 sections and it was so difficult to find the answers as they were not straight forward. the answers were hidden throughout a paragraph. not a sentence. an adviser in my office (long time in the industry) failed to help me with the questions as even he could not locate in my study material.

3. kwakker

kwakker Active Member

I must admit that I found the IP 1 exam to be alot harder than I expected. The practice exams Kaplan provides online do not reflect the quality of the questions asked in the real exam.

As you mentioned krazykakes, alot of the questions are referring to specific paragraphs within the different chaptors, and had it not of been open book I definately would not have passed. That being said, even had I studied for a good two weeks before hand, I do not believe I would've passed on my knowledge alone and would still had to have relied heavily on the course notes.

I am glad that I left SRP until last, as this assignment seems a lot more complex than IP 1 put together.

To me the first question in SRP seems to require more research and understanding than the main question (Q5) in IP 1. But, I'm looking forward to researching it out for myself so I can understand it all better.

Good luck to those others actually trying to do the SRP for themselves!

4. kwakker

kwakker Active Member

As I previously posted, I have passed my IP 1 module and have moved on the SRP. And no I do not intend to trade my assignment which I completed research on, put plenty of hours in to learn and understand the coursework.

Perhaps if you had a specific question that was puzzling you, and even after reading the coursework (and referencing it in the post) could not understand, then I might try and help if I was able. For example, if you didn't understand the present value of an annuity, I could help you by giving you the correct formula and referencing the right section in the coursework.

But, I will not hand out any part of my assignment. If you are really struggling, Kaplan has resources you can tap into - like workshops.

5. sanela

sanela Member

Hi kwakker,

just wondering how was the exam. I'm doing my on this Wendesday and would appreciate any insight. Thanks

6. MButt

MButt New Member

Hi Rose

I am curently doing my IP3002 and am having trouble with Q2b purchase price of the Government Bond and 3a IRR.

Can you please provide some assistance

7. Mishelly

Mishelly Member

Hi Kwakker, in regards to the Investment Assignment im not looking for an assignment trade as i know the exam is going to be harder than the assignment and i really need to learn this stuff. my questions are:

3Ciii - Discuss some performance drivers that are specific to Suncorp. Am i ment to actually do research on suncorp or do i use what is in the subject notes? also i see alot of people recommending a buy or sell.. why would you not recommend a hold of the shares because thats what im leaning to and i would like some advice.

3Civ - Outline sources of information isabella could access to research this company. Am i supposed to use the subject notes or am i supposed to research companies?

3CV - I think i can answer this one so i dont really need help with it

Any ideas and opinions would be greatly appreciated.

8. kwakker

kwakker Active Member

Hey Mishelly,

In regards to performance drivers that are specific to Suncorp, I used some of the information in the notes, however I also looked on Suncorps website and had a look at their annual report (or most recent quarterly report) about issues that affected the company.

In terms of recommendation to buy or sell it is up to what you calculated is a fair price and whether it is over or under valued, or whether a hold recommendation warrants.I think the main thing Kaplan is looking for is an explanation as to why - and this is hwere your calculations in the previous parts come in, along with possible future outlook.

In terms of outlining sources of information, there is information in the notes about where to go and just by thinking about this generally you can come up with some ideas - ie Internet, newspapers etc.

Hope it helps.

Kwakker