Join our investing community

Investment Planning 1 SN3002

Discussion in 'Financial Planning' started by kwakker, 17th Aug, 2011.

1. kwakker

kwakker Active Member

Hi,

I've noticed alot of people asking for help with alot of this assignment and it seems as though not everyone does seem to read the notes, rather they just skip ahead to the assignment and just flick through the notes on the relevant parts.

While this was ok for FFP and RM, IP1 seems a bit more complex and requires a bit of an understanding to start the assignment.

I'm asking for opinions on the set out of Q5 in the assignment about providing advice to Isabelle. I was thinking of approaching this as an SOA (leaving out the irrelevant parts and alot of the compliance wording), and structuring it as I do for SOA's at work.

I was wondering if anyone else is doing it this way, or perhaps structuring it another way. I'm aware that I can't use the SOA template I use at work, however I'm sure I'll be able to use it as a guide for an SOA for Isabelle.

2. Cameron1983

Cameron1983 New Member

Hi,

I'm having the same trouble with q5, did you manage to work it out. If so could you give me some pointers on the layout and structure.

Any help would be appreciated

3. sweetp7282

sweetp7282 Member

Q5

Try this way...

1. Only work on inheritance and divide it between the needs and expenses like mortgage, holiday, car, renovations and rest for investments.
    2. recommendation on existing portfolio
    3. recommendation on surplus cash flow

there is no need to make an SOA.

hope this helps..........

4. kwakker

kwakker Active Member

Thanks for the input sweetp7282,

I understand that a full SOA is not needed, but what I deal with at work sets it out pretty well and covers off all the issues Kaplan are asking for. I find that it is also helping me assess her situation and answer the question as I go along.

Basically has 3 parts to it (and is similar to what you suggested):

1) Sets out financial position
    2) What we recommend and why
    3) Details the products invested in (fees, type of investment, asset allocation etc).

I guess it helps to work in the industry as it can give you more of an idea, and help with these modules.