Join our investing community

Investment Properties are Overrated Anyway!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by -T-, 6th Apr, 2006.

1. -T-

-T- Well-Known Member

If you have Flash installed, check out the opening screen, hehe. It's ironic because I've been telling a friend who just bought that exact car to invest instead.

http://www.audi.com.au

2. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Co-founder Staff Member

Ha ... clever marketing by Audi.

I remember my boss at one of my previous jobs was a die-hard Audi fan. I found out one day that he was paying around $1100 per month in lease payments on his A4 Turbo. At the time, that was more than my monthly P&I repayments on our first property !!!!!

That property of mine is now worth $200K+ more than what I paid for it, his Audi is now worth about $20,000 if he's lucky.

3. -T-

-T- Well-Known Member

The usual argument is that they'd rather enjoy it when 20 or 30 than 50 or 60. But then again, while we may not have to wait until we're 50, with their attitudes/personalities/etc, they probably would have to. Nothing against them or course, we can't all be investors.

So I guess it is how it is and that's probably the best way for it to be.

4. Alan

Alan Well-Known Member

Yes......the difference will be that you'll wind up with the IP and the Audi(if that's what you want) Sim.

:D

5. Jacque

Jacque Team InvestEd

Nah, Audis are overrated as well :)
    I used to want a powder blue cabriolet but I'm kinda over it just for now.....

Maybe when I have more time to enjoy going for a Sunday drive with the top down and a warm breeze in my hair, I'll reconsider. For now, it's just me and the little Toyota Echo :D

6. TryHard

TryHard Well-Known Member

To each their own

Let's face it, the bloke with the A4 turbo may have had a grossly depreciating asset, but I bet it still got a few 'special friends' while it still had the new car smell :)

I reckon good on 'em if its what they want. Just means trading off lots of fun and consumption while young for a potentially more miserable retirement.

I think the other side of the coin is the people who pump every cent into IP's and let themselves live like 'street people'. I saw an old contact featured in API - they've been investing and developing over 10 years and still look like they raided the St Vinnies bin for their wardrobe. That would be a sad thing to realise as the bus was just about to hit you ;-)

Everything in moderation I reckon :p

7. Alan

Alan Well-Known Member

Yep.......you're a long time dead ah? I think it's great to be able to let your investments let you progressively explore some of your passions along the journey. :)

If you have a real passion for cars or clothes, and your investments allow you to explore these areas more. Great. Enjoy!

The point is, investments may well be an important 'fuel component' in being able to explore some(cetainly not all) of your passions along the way, so why would you go and kill the goose that laid the golden egg or indeed forgo trying to get a goose in the first place? Hmmm......I've probably sliced/diced and destroyed a few metaphors there...:eek:

I remember reading a story a while back about a new young mum who was in the company of some 'very successful investors'. She rather sheepishly admitted that her only major investment milestone had been allowing her to stay at home with her newborn for a number of years but that was important to her.

Fantastic! She gets to do something she is passionate about along the journey because she took the time to find out how investing could work for her.

Your investments may allow you to spend more time with your family, have a slightly nicer car or indeed buy a Cochlear implant for a child each year, but I totally agree, time goes by too quickly to simply accumulate money for the sake of accumulation.

Indeed, everything in moderation.....

What was it John Lennon said?

'Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans'.

:)