Join our investing community

IP 1 Case Study discussion

Discussion in 'Financial Planning Study Group' started by Liz123, 19th May, 2010.

1. Liz123

Liz123 Active Member

I am about to begin working on the IP1 Case Study.

Firstly would just like to know how most people are writing it i.e. in SOA style or question and answers?

Would be interested to know what are people believe the asset allocations and investment recommendations should be? (Question b and c)

Is anyone in the same situation and would like to discuss or bounce idea's?

Liz

2. scottie44

scottie44 Member

Hi

I think I am going to put answers under each specific question. I think B-E will turn out to look like an SOA anyway but just wont have headings like an SOA would.

Scott

3. Liz123

Liz123 Active Member

Hi Scott

I'm tending towards the same. When is your assignment due?

Liz

4. scottie44

scottie44 Member

I have only had the subject for 2 weeks, so the assignment is not due for over 3 months. I am trying to get through the subjects as quick as I can becuase I finally had enough of my IT career and quit. So need this qualification in the hope it actually helps me find something in the FP area.

Thanks
    Scott

5. Liz123

Liz123 Active Member

Doing well then! I still have a while on mine also - not quite 3 months though!

I've been in the industry for over 10 years, Im just doing it to open some new doors. Have been training in FP software to planners for years and am now looking for a change. Trying to get through mine as quickly as I can - but with kids, you never know what is around the corner!

Have you worked in IT within the industry?

Liz

6. scottie44

scottie44 Member

That will no doubt help already being in the industry and having exposure to some of the software the planners use in there day to day job.

No, my IT work has been totally unrelated. This is a big career change for me. I am not exactly sure how it will all go yet but i have been doing a lot of research and know a couple of people. I have just decided to back myself to get my foot in the door, and then once that happens I hope through hard work I can make the career change work and hopefully pay off.

Scott

7. Liz123

Liz123 Active Member

Good on you, you sound pretty motivated, Im sure you'll find something. If you are looking to be a FP, some dealerships have training academies. Where after you have done your DFS, they put you through this intensive training and then try and find you a job with their financial planners. It might be worth looking into after you have done your DFS??
    Liz

8. scottie44

scottie44 Member

Yeah I am pretty keen to get it all underway. I finish my job at the end of June so I will start looking in the next few weeks or so.

I was going to apply at AMP as they have one of those intensive training programs you are talking about. Do you know who else offers the same sort of thing, I heard MLC might do the same?

Scott

9. Liz123

Liz123 Active Member

No, I was going to suggest AMP. They have a training program "Horizons Academy" in St Leonards. Another way of getting into this is being employed by one of their planners.

I think another way of becoming a planner is going through the banks as employed to get some experience and then moving on??

10. scottie44

scottie44 Member

I had a bit of a look over the weekend and it looks like a few companies have academys setup. I might get a list together and start applying to a few of them in the next few weeks.

11. plan

plan Active Member

Hi

I was looking up FP academies, but could only find AMP. Would you mind letting me know what other Insurance companies/Banks etc.. have these academies?

What's the best route to get into Financial Planning?

Thanks

12. scottie44

scottie44 Member

Hi

I cant remember all the names. I just remember AMP and MLC. There were only a handful it wasnt like all companies are doing it.

I just did a search on google for "financial planner academy", "para planner academy" and then scrolled through the results.

Scott

13. plan

plan Active Member

Thanks Scott

14. gocats

gocats Well-Known Member

Hi Liz, Im about to start my assignment today and by the looks of thr posts its as hard as I thought it would be. How are you going with yours? Would be happy to discuss and bouncew ideas

15. Liz123

Liz123 Active Member

IP Case Study

Hi Gocats,

How are you going so far?

Im upto the Case Study part of the assignment. Have finished the first part with the help of this website, fantastic!

Have you read the IP1 text? I have only read half and sort of feel reluctant to do the case study until I have read it, crazy I know!

Im up to b) Suggested non-superannuation strategies with overall asset allocation table(s).

Liz

16. gocats

gocats Well-Known Member

Ive actually only just started it, and am freaking out - it looks hard!

17. Liz123

Liz123 Active Member

Yeah that's how I felt and still do re: the case study.

Just go one at a time. For questions 1 and 2, I just did a paragraph discussing them. I think the systemic risk question (2) you can almost google. Question 1 is in the text module 6.6.3! Question 3, the answers are in this forum depending if you have the question with 2 yrs remaining or the "other" (not sure what it is). Question 4 is in Module 2 from memory and Question 5 is in module 4 I think the P/E Ratio stuff. Hope that helps a bit??

Liz

18. gocats

gocats Well-Known Member

it does! if your doing te case sudy now I can start that first and we can try work through it together?

19. Liz123

Liz123 Active Member

Hi Gocats,

Sorry I haven't got back to you in ages, have been offline for a while! How are you going with your assignment? Im guessing you have probably finished it?? I haven't moved any further at this stage. Have a six month old that is keeping me up all night and two other kids, finding time is pretty hard as is finding it when I am awake enough to focus!!
    Liz

20. gocats

gocats Well-Known Member

hi liz, thats completely understandable! I wish I'd finished it :) Ive actually been off work from surgery for four weeks, I thought Id get heaps done but have really just been sleeping and reading. Have figured out three and four and on to question five this afternoon. Have you done the case study yet?