is a vacant block of land considered a PPOR?

Discussion in 'Investment Strategy' started by robmillion, 10th Dec, 2010.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. robmillion

robmillion Member

If I sell a block of land that I purchased more than 12 months ago, are the interest payments and additional expenses incurred during ownership considered a tax deduction by the ATO?

Given that I'm a FHB and currently living with parents, does that automatically qualify the block of land as my PPOR or would it be considered an investment property?

Thanks in advance.

2. samaka

samaka Well-Known Member

You can't claim any deductions unless you earned an income. If all you did was hold the property then know. If you rented it out to someone, grazing land or even storing a trailer, then yes you could.

3. jrc

jrc Well-Known Member

If you didn't earn nay income from the land then holding costs such as rates and interest should be able to be added to the cost base - section 110.25 of the 1997 Act

4. Travelbug

Travelbug Well-Known Member

PPOR means Principal Place of Residence. In other words- where you live so NO.

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia