Join our investing community

Is Bitcoin defying Economics?

Discussion in 'The Economy' started by jeromanomic, 14th Apr, 2015.

1. jeromanomic

jeromanomic Active Member

twisted strategies likes this.
  2. larrylarry

larrylarry Member

3. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Co-founder Staff Member

4. larrylarry

larrylarry Member

Hey Simon, I'm still learning but the idea of crypto excites me now. i intend to look into buying an amount that i am willing to lose this week, perhaps...looking at alternates like eth, dash and ripple. what about you?

5. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Co-founder Staff Member

No - I fundamentally see holding currency of any kind (traditional or crypto) as speculation - since there is nothing intrinsic which determines the value, it's purely based on sentiment.

If I had play money to spare and was bored, I might start looking at it from a trading point of view - but I have neither the time nor the money to dedicate to it right now.

6. Big Max

Big Max New Member

As a huge follower of Buffet I agree. But having said that I have bought a bunch just in case. Whilst they cannot be valued, as they produce no yield they could also go much much higher. And there are certainly dynamics in place for a massive and sustained bubble in bit coins. Perhaps even more so than gold which is also a sustained bubble. With bit coins there is a mathematical and absolute finite number that can exist. Zero storage cost. Zero tansfer cost. Infinite portability. And still very early in terms of any mainstream adoption. So I bought a bunch as a hedge against the event that we do get to 100k or 1m per coin. And also as a possible store of value if we really do get some kind of massive banking collapse or more aggressive wealth grabbing from the government or the need to escape from a country fast with funds accessible anywhere in the world that you escape to.

Will5308 likes this.