Join our investing community

is it wise to sell and cut losses?

Discussion in 'Real Estate' started by mumeco, 5th May, 2008.

1. mumeco

mumeco Active Member

Just wondering
    I own an IP in Stanmore, 1 bedroom with undercover carpark, bought in 2002. Owe 230000 on it. Bought at 290000. Basically paying interest only. However, I bought this off the plan, and probably paid too much. The value has only increased about 50000 since 2002. Rent = 340 per week. Interest = 900 per fortnight.
    Am thinking that it was not a great investment and now is costing me a lot given the rate rises.

I know these are very sketchy details.

Should I:
    Renegotiate the home loan to try to reduce payment amounts?
    Sell now?

I won't have a high tax rate this Financial Year so that may cut down CGT.

2. crc_error

crc_error The Rule of 72

a property purchase should be viewed as a 10 year investment, sounds like your only 6 years through that period..

if your interest only, you can't reduce those payment amounts.

Tax on $50,000 is only about $7,000 so really not much.. plus purchase costs will be taken out of the $50k which will reduce that figure further..

3. JustB

JustB Well-Known Member

As crc_error mentioned - you haven't held the property through a full cycle yet. Given you bought at the peak of the Sydney boom, your estimated capital growth sounds pretty good - other properties/areas have done much worse. If you can afford to hold it, I would wait and see how it performs over the coming few years. If it still looks like a poor investment, at least sell it for a better profit during the next boom

That said, your interest payments sound very high. $900/ft on $230k is over 10%pa. If that is the case, there are definitely better rates around. You should be able to re-finance and reduce your fortnightly payments to ~$750-$780.

4. mumeco

mumeco Active Member

I think that's right, actually...I have been thinkin v. hard about refinancing the loan. I wonder if I should go for Myrate or something like that. I'll have to look into it a bit more. And I think that if i could reduce my payments it wouldn't be as stressful as it is now.

But thanks for the thoughts about the property cycle.

5. mumeco

mumeco Active Member

Best home loans?

So another question is what the best home loans are. I think I just need a basic interest-only loan with on-line access.

6. DaveA

DaveA Well-Known Member

Which bank will allow you to play the valuation game and get a higher valued price... Im sure id be happy to pay an extra 10-15 basis points on a mortgage if the property was valued at 20k higher....

7. Jacque

Jacque Team InvestEd

Hi Mumeco

Did you get a depreciation schedule done when you purchased? This would further reduce your out of pocket costs, though I would assume it's OTP status means you had this done at purchase time.

I wouldn't sell right now, if I could afford to hold. Sydney's property market has buying opportunity written all over it now, and with excessive listings, I'd prefer to be a buyer rather than a seller. You're not overly neg geared, by the sounds of it, but a good broker should be able to assist with refinancing, should you wish to shop around for a better rate. Just watch out for nasty exit costs and best of luck :)

8. mumeco

mumeco Active Member

Thanks very much for the advice. Will start looking into refinancing.

9. mumeco

mumeco Active Member

Refinancing

So, based on the discussions in this forum, a mortgage broker seems to be a good first port of call.
    Trouble is I don't know anyone.
    I also gather it's worthwhile asking a couple of MBs for their opinion.
    Could someone please recommend a good starting point?

10. handyandy

handyandy Well-Known Member

11. DaveA

DaveA Well-Known Member

Good Old Rolf, Is there anyone who doesnt use him :D

Rolf has my vote, goes above and beyond what is expected and knows his stuff incredibly well. For interstaters i wouldnt be put off as there is no real need to do face to face as everything can be done electroncially...

12. mumeco

mumeco Active Member

Mortage brokers

Can I just check that there is no bias via this website about ASAP, i.e. the recommendations don't come from their staff etc?

13. DaveA

DaveA Well-Known Member

Nope, just a happy client...

As far as i know Rolf has 6 people directly working for him in his office. He also has brokers around the country working under the ASAP name. As far as i know Rolf is the only one who gets around and posts, but does post more often on somersoft than here though...

14. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Co-founder Staff Member

Nope - no bias here.

15. mumeco

mumeco Active Member

Okeydokey!! (Does anyone say that anymore?)
    I'm calling today to see what they have to say.
    fingers crossed